• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted suit fabrics

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am going to be ordering my next suit some two and a half months from now and am pretty sure that I want to get something double breasted. Unfortunately, the only fabrics that come to mind for DBs are gray flannel, which I have, and blue pin/chalk stripes, which I don't love. I would really appreciate any suggestions for cloths that people think make up really well for a DB.

Thanks.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am going to be ordering my next suit some two and a half months from now and am pretty sure that I want to get something double breasted. Unfortunately, the only fabrics that come to mind for DBs are gray flannel, which I have, and blue pin/chalk stripes, which I don't love. I would really appreciate any suggestions for cloths that people think make up really well for a DB.

Thanks.

How about a classic PoW check (with or without windowpane)?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My current projects: a Lesser 13oz mid- grey pindot, a Lesser 120s Oxford grey herringbone (no vents or flaps-- just waiting for a pair of striped trousers!), and Dorchester 14oz brown herringbone/stripe.
http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...tki=901243102?
That was my effort to shade toward tweed without actually stepping over the line. I have some brown shoes that really need to be under a suit, and I just can't wear them with blue or grey.

Possible fun follow-ups: a solaro in plain twill, or a summer weight tan. RAF blue solid is also one of my favorites: I have a fresco and a light mohair in that color.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
POW is not usually considered a classic DB cloth. Look at photos of the DOW and his are SBs with one exceptiion late in life.

In addition to navy chalk stripes I like DBs in solids and semi-solids: gray pick and pick, air force blue mohair, tan gabardine, etc.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
POW is not usually considered a classic DB cloth. Look at photos of the DOW and his are SBs with one exceptiion late in life.

I like DBs in solids and semi-solids: gray pick and pick, air force blue mohair, tan gabardine, etc.

Do you think a AF ble mohair would be good in San Francisco. It is one of my favorite fabrics, and I have had one in mind for awhile, but don't love the picture I have of it in my mind for SB. What months do you think it would be good for here?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this would look great. I'm sure Lesser makes a standard PoW. EDIT: Nevermind, I don't think this is a PoW. If it is, a very subdued one.
princecharleszr3.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nevermind; upon closer inspection, it appears to be a classic PoW.

princecharles2zf9.jpg

Will, I don't think there's anything inherently "single breasted" when it comes to PoW. I've seen DB PoW suits before and they look smashing.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I finally order a DB (which won't be for a number of years yet) I'm going to go with a mid-grey chalkstripe.

After seeing Alden's unlined grey fresco DB, I've wanted one despite the fact that fresco season and DB season aren't the same season where I live. Maybe in SF that would work.

Edit: Conne, I think that is a subtle POW (
laugh.gif
) pattern

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
EDIT: Nevermind, I don't think this is a PoW. If it is, a very subdued one.

Only because he's getting older.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
When I finally order a DB (which won't be for a number of years yet) I'm going to go with a mid-grey chalkstripe.

After seeing Alden's unlined grey fresco DB, I've wanted one despite the fact that fresco season and DB season aren't the same season where I live. Maybe in SF that would work.

There's a Minnis fresco in mid-grey chalkstripe that is beefy enough to cover spring and fall as well as the cooler part of summer in the Northeast.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My DB is dark navy cashmere w/ grey pique covered buttons.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Do you think a AF ble mohair would be good in San Francisco. It is one of my favorite fabrics, and I have had one in mind for awhile, but don't love the picture I have of it in my mind for SB. What months do you think it would be good for here?

Lesser makes a 13 ounce mohair that would be wearable except for the rare hot day and the two cold months. I have it on my list for next year. Assuming I stop ordering from Cloth Club and then forgetting that I did so.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I think this would look great. I'm sure Lesser makes a standard PoW.

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't think this is a PoW. If it is, a very subdued one.

princecharleszr3.jpg

At least, He is the PoW.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads