• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also recently noted that the Armoury puts navy buttons on nearly all of their navy SCs, presumably so they work with both brown and black shoes(?). The cloth, weave and pocket style usually signal the jacket as a separate, so not sure if there is a way to triangulate a middle-ground blazer suit. Probably not...?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also recently noted that the Armoury puts navy buttons on nearly all of their navy SCs, presumably so they work with both brown and black shoes(?). The cloth, weave and pocket style usually signal the jacket as a separate, so not sure if there is a way to triangulate a middle-ground blazer suit. Probably not...?
U said it yourself. It’s kinda a middle ground approach. U get abit of everything but no whole of something. I like navy buttons for the fact that it matches with both black and brown shoes hence why my suits have time. Looks really good on mohair too compared to dark brown horn. But I think dark brown horn is a better option than navy if u want a blazer. Not the best option but still arguably better. And it matches with black and brown shoes.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

4x1 RTW, yea! might just get this one once on sale...

yanagi

Reaction score
Have any of had (or seen) success with a DB blazer suit? I'm thinking about commissioning a navy suit with patch pockets, but in a fabric and weave (hopsack?) that would allow the jacket to be worn seperately as a blazer, albeit with navy buttons. Could this work well, or would the patch pockets ruin the suit vibe, while the navy buttons ruin the blazer vibe?

FWIW, I commissioned a DB blazer (not a blazer suit) with "the" Minnis mock leno (510244), and my tailor suggested blue mother-of-pearl buttons:
Buttons 1.jpg
As far as I can tell, "standard" navy suits tend to have black plastic or horn buttons, not blue or navy, and definitely not MOP.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @9thsymph,

I firmly believe that the so called "Blazersuit" needs to have certain features in order - like our fellow @The Chai correctly noted above - not to look like an "orphaned" suit jacket.

IMHO, its main characteristic has to be a textured fabric; as an example and only, a w/s/l fabric for the spring (or even early fall) would be easily matched with smoother surfaced pairs of trousers and pass as a blazer. For the winter, navy flannel can also be a candidate for this make-up and I have seen several successful attempts. In light of this, I would totally keep clear from worsted fabrics.

A second feature has to be a soft(er) shoulder, reminiscent of the ones chosen for Sport Coats; a more structured shoulder is a pivotal element of suits.

Patch pockets ought to be present, but in this case, you would have to forgo the use of this navy suit in more formal occasions; life is a trade-off!

Finally, the buttons: if you do not at all fancy dark brown horn ones (which I urge you to consider), and you insist on navy ones, I would try unpolished navy buttons; you may check the difference between polished/unpolished in theliningcompany.co.uk.

Best,

Dimitris

dan'l

Reaction score
Although I consider myself a meticulous person, I never considered matching the buttons on my sport coat or suit to my shoes. I think it is much more important that the buttons compliment the fabric.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I consider myself a meticulous person, I never considered matching the buttons on my sport coat or suit to my shoes. I think it is much more important that the buttons compliment the fabric.

weird flex but ok

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Early days but killer jacket

Attachments

• 3AE4AF90-7F3B-4ECC-BB60-488EEDB55F82.jpeg
    3AE4AF90-7F3B-4ECC-BB60-488EEDB55F82.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 3B62B086-A22B-4EBB-AC6F-22171911F39F.jpeg
    3B62B086-A22B-4EBB-AC6F-22171911F39F.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 67

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of had (or seen) success with a DB blazer suit? I'm thinking about commissioning a navy suit with patch pockets, but in a fabric and weave (hopsack?) that would allow the jacket to be worn seperately as a blazer, albeit with navy buttons. Could this work well, or would the patch pockets ruin the suit vibe, while the navy buttons ruin the blazer vibe?

They solved this problem a while ago.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've occasionally shared the article with friends who are frequent bespoke customers, and the women of their lives, and got almost universally bad feedback from both, much as I personally like the idea. Admittedly most were bankers.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha...Yeah, but I was hoping for an updated take...I will never fathom ordering a jacket with removable buttons...

I think the answer, especially in the case of a DB, is to defer to the suit identity, but with a few details that hopefully mitigate the orphaned-suit phenomenon when the jacket is worn separately. In other words, I think it's better to have a proper suit than a proper SC.

I think I can make it work in a more casual cloth in either navy or brown...

Wish me luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads