• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly it's a carry-over from the time when Jews in Eastern Europe were forbidden to carry weapons. Most men are right handed and would carry a blade or gun near their left hip to be drawn across the body. A traditional left-over-right buttoning coat facilitates this (especially double-breasted), allowing a right hand to reach into the left side of the jacket without the right side of the jacket holding it tight to the body. Jews would thus wear their coats buttoned in the opposite direction as a visual cue that they were unarmed and unable, if right-handed, to conveniently draw a weapon.

That's what I have heard. No idea if it's the true origin. But it's a real tradition:

View attachment 1243907

Not sure I love the cut of this guy's coat, but its got a sort of futuristic vibe to it that I kind of like....

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably just me, but Luca's suit jackets look unbalanced to me when he has them buttoned low. Because they are on the short side, it makes them look "off" to me.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably just me, but Luca's suit jackets look unbalanced to me when he has them buttoned low. Because they are on the short side, it makes them look "off" to me.

I’ve never much liked his dbs for just this reason. They’d look much better with a higher button point.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The jackets aren't short he just has weird proportions.

yanagi

Reaction score

I concur with you. I think the 6x2 jacket looks much more balanced than the preceding 6x1's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads