• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that jacket but I'd go to T&G Caraceni instead.

btw, I've tried to combine cotton or linen sportcoats with fresco trousers but it feels somehow incongruous to me. Too much contrast between the formality of the wool (even twisted wool) with the informality of the cotton or the linen makes me feel its out of place one or the other.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His clothes have gotten substantially better since he first started writing. My favorite jacket is the Cotton Double Breasted from Caraceni. I need some more DB's in my life but I don't have an avenue for wearing them on a regular basis.
I feel like you have the steez for DBs.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you all think of unvented DB suits? Dalcuore makes a few OTR models.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
If I had some serious cash and serious time I would hit up F. Caraceni. This is his best jacket. I like DBs for casual outings.

View attachment 1230760
I love this look but with slightly narrower lapels. I just commissioned a double breasted linen suit and opted for 3.75" down from what seems the more standard 4.25"

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love this look but with slightly narrower lapels. I just commissioned a double breasted linen suit and opted for 3.75" down from what seems the more standard 4.25"
Lapel width is subjective to the wearer but relative to your chest size.

If you are 42" chest or smaller 3.75" lapels will appear moderate. If you are 44" chest or larger they appear skimpy. A suggestion to think about.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Lapel width is subjective to the wearer but relative to your chest size.

If you are 42" chest or smaller 3.75" lapels will appear moderate. If you are 44" chest or larger they appear skimpy. A suggestion to think about.
Definitely factored in. I'm a 42" and I'm 6'5" so I'm somewhat thin and I thought anything larger than 4" or even 3.75" would feel like they dominate my torso

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like beefy peak lapels. When you factor in your height I would error on the wider side. 4". The angles of the peak can change the look of the proportions as well. Just my opinion.

Artigas

Reaction score
He's Back!!
Wonder who will be the first to comment that this DB is buttoned right front over left rather than left over right? Some one will catch that!

I just assumed the photo was reversed, but the shirt buttons are on the standard (right) side. I know right-over-left is popular among some Orthodox Jewish communities.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just assumed the photo was reversed, but the shirt buttons are on the standard (right) side. I know right-over-left is popular among some Orthodox Jewish communities.
Did not know this.
Verified by looking at the breast pocket. If the breast pocket was reversed then I would assume photo was taken looking into a mirror

Artigas

Reaction score
Did not know this.

Supposedly it's a carry-over from the time when Jews in Eastern Europe were forbidden to carry weapons. Most men are right handed and would carry a blade or gun near their left hip to be drawn across the body. A traditional left-over-right buttoning coat facilitates this (especially double-breasted), allowing a right hand to reach into the left side of the jacket without the right side of the jacket holding it tight to the body. Jews would thus wear their coats buttoned in the opposite direction as a visual cue that they were unarmed and unable, if right-handed, to conveniently draw a weapon.

That's what I have heard. No idea if it's the true origin. But it's a real tradition:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads