• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i have recently started to find the double breasted style quite appealing. Now fortunately or unfortunately this coincides with my recent fascination with harris tweed.

I have recently found a tailor who has access to harris tweed and is willing to do a bespoke harris tweed jacket.

I was wondering is getting a double breasted jacket an good idea ? if so anyone has any good examples which i can show my tailor?

i have searched the internet a bit and not fond a lot of designs that i can look at. maybe someone can guide me to a place where i can look at designs and colour combinations...

all i found were these 2 that i liked

ben silver db1.jpg
JHN550D_5.jpg

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i have recently started to find the double breasted style quite appealing. Now fortunately or unfortunately this coincides with my recent fascination with harris tweed.

I have recently found a tailor who has access to harris tweed and is willing to do a bespoke harris tweed jacket.

I was wondering is getting a double breasted jacket an good idea ? if so anyone has any good examples which i can show my tailor?

i have searched the internet a bit and not fond a lot of designs that i can look at. maybe someone can guide me to a place where i can look at designs and colour combinations...

View attachment 1205646 View attachment 1205647

I’m no expert but for some reason it doesn’t seem like it would work.

I think it could be done but would be very hard to do well. Maybe it’s something about my association with tweed as being chunky, so to have that much fabric going across your body that isn’t actually a coat like an ulster or something seems odd.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't do it but if you are adamant about wearing one use these as an example.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

https://bamfstyle.com/2018/12/15/its-a-wonderful-life-stewart-sporty-tweed/ Jimmy Stewart wore a three piece peak lapel patch pocket suit...pretty much the muttiest of mutts...it could work but it will never be the best fabric configuration for a double breasted...perhaps something from the worsted alsport book but unless u are gonna make an overcoat of some sort I don’t think it’s the best idea unless you have a huge rotation of suits and you really want something out of the ordinary

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...perhaps a black and white herringbone or navy Donegal in a 4x1 patch pocket configuration could work

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://bamfstyle.com/2018/12/15/its-a-wonderful-life-stewart-sporty-tweed/ Jimmy Stewart wore a three piece peak lapel patch pocket suit...pretty much the muttiest of mutts...it could work but it will never be the best fabric configuration for a double breasted...perhaps something from the worsted alsport book but unless u are gonna make an overcoat of some sort I don’t think it’s the best idea unless you have a huge rotation of suits and you really want something out of the ordinary
A db tweed jacket? May not be the worst thing. But I know what ol' George is saying, "The answer is No, Gawdawnit!"

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For some reason, and I guess it is the thickness of the wool, tweed does not lend itself into DB. It could also be that its a `country` cloth too. I think one could have a strong regret after receiving it....just my humble opinion though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads