• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's wrong with the suit from the chest down? I would have no problem wearing that suit.
It's probably entirely proper and perfectly done from a historical standpoint, but the way the bottom third presents as, essentially, a flat square of material with a straight across "hem" look at the bottom, again just to my eye, isn't visually appealing.

I heard someone say that an unvented jacket from the rear looked like the person was wearing a condom; the front of a db that is visually a straight line across the bottom gives me the same subconscious "do not like" feeling.

So, bringing this full circle, I guess I'm wondering are there "proper" (not "fashion" oriented) dbs that don't have a straight cut across the bottom? Again, I'm now thinking that might not even be doable since the quarters overlap in the front and it might just be weird, but if there are such things, I'd be interested in seeing them...

Also, the pictures of R. Fienes show him wearing the DB with everything buttoned up. Which may distort the way the jacket is suppose to "split."
Excellent observation that I hadn't noticed + connected the dots on, thanks for pointing it out. I'll note that the pic we referred to above is essentially the same (he only has a single row at the bottom, which is appropriately buttoned, meaning no unbuttoned rows underneath).

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably entirely proper and perfectly done from a historical standpoint, but the way the bottom third presents as, essentially, a flat square of material with a straight across "hem" look at the bottom, again just to my eye, isn't visually appealing.

I heard someone say that an unvented jacket from the rear looked like the person was wearing a condom; the front of a db that is visually a straight line across the bottom gives me the same subconscious "do not like" feeling.

So, bringing this full circle, I guess I'm wondering are there "proper" (not "fashion" oriented) dbs that don't have a straight cut across the bottom? Again, I'm now thinking that might not even be doable since the quarters overlap in the front and it might just be weird, but if there are such things, I'd be interested in seeing them...

Excellent observation that I hadn't noticed + connected the dots on, thanks for pointing it out. I'll note that the pic we referred to above is essentially the same (he only has a single row at the bottom, which is appropriately buttoned, meaning no unbuttoned rows underneath).

I think you're over analyzing things.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you're over analyzing things.
Only because I'm trying to explain the nuance. In real life it's more like a split second of "Great look [at chest and shoulders] ugh, the waist kills it" What I'm trying to do here is figure out if there are real, again non-"fashion", variations that address the aspects that I don't care for.

With lots of DB fans trafficking here and no-one having chimed in yet, I'm thinking a)you're right and/or b)no such thing exists. Carry on.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adam+Goldston+MOCA+Gala+2017+Honoring+Jeff+GtTnrvfhhWIx.jpg

Adam+Goldston+MOCA+Gala+2017+Honoring+Jeff+7Mcik1C6p3qx.jpg

Jeffrey+Deitch+MOCA+Gala+2017+Honoring+Jeff+KIyjlcqpmGix.jpg

Michael+Chow+MOCA+Gala+2017+Honoring+Jeff+68CA12w9JU0x.jpg

Michael+Chow+MOCA+Gala+2017+Honoring+Jeff+N7bRMft22aVx.jpg

Claudio+Luti+Kartell+Launches+New+Chair+Frilly+swO1OCF7VVZx.jpg

p8180024-jpg.830530

a1s2d3

Reaction score
Only because I'm trying to explain the nuance. In real life it's more like a split second of "Great look [at chest and shoulders] ugh, the waist kills it" What I'm trying to do here is figure out if there are real, again non-"fashion", variations that address the aspects that I don't care for.

With lots of DB fans trafficking here and no-one having chimed in yet, I'm thinking a)you're right and/or b)no such thing exists. Carry on.
Ralph+Fiennes+Jameson+Empire+Awards+2015+ZmVqqvQ-DLnxcompare.png
Wes+Anderson+Grand+Budapest+Hotel+Premieres+OK0NYYZum_Ax23compare.png

As with most suits today, his pants are too slim for a DB. The longer the jacket length; the wider the pant leg should be, a slim leg requires a shorter modish jacket. He should go with a shorter length for his height as well. The suit he is wearing at the British Academy awards doesn't look too bad as the jacket length and pant width are in proportion.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

think what you're trying to say is you can't get a "X" in the front with DB, which is always going to be the case with flat bottom, I suppose you can only counter with more shaping?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads