• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My new DB suit is progressing nicely.

Suit by ANTON-Kleermaker
Shirt and Solaro tie by Amidé Hadelin

520C5C2E-0ADD-4CE4-8500-B91EE46CEFD7.jpeg

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Hi All!

Love this thread (have looked through many of the 458 pages), and seeking a little help.

My first "good" suit half-a-lifetime ago was a double-breasted Donna Karan Gold Label (made in Italy) navy pinstripe in the 1990s. I loved that suit and got a ton of nice comments on it - was my go-to suit for a few years. I was a more slender lad back then...I recall that suit was a 42R (US sizing).

Since then I have put on some pounds, and I have exclusively worn single-breasted suits and jackets. But now I am really drawn to the beautiful Napoli-style double-breasted suits I'm seeing.

I really want to commission a bespoke DB suit from a tailor in Naples (don't need help with this part - have it lined up).

The (potential) issue is that I'm a big guy. Not obese...but on the bigger side. I am 6 foot, have a 46" chest and a 39" waist. In my recently purchased Attolini sports jacket, my size is 56R7 (please take a look at the pic below just for an idea of body type). Hidden well by this jacket is a bit of a belly/gut. But I can still look nice and fit well in a drop-7 SB jacket.

I must have looked at thousands of pics of gents in double-breasted suits, but they all seem to fall into 2 categories: (1) gents who are rotund/obese, and (2) gents who are slender/slim/fit.

I mean no offense when I say that I find the pics of gents in category (1) wearing double-breasted suits are generally not pleasing to my eye. Of course the pics of category (2) are mostly better (barring some bad fits).

Oddly, I have seen pretty much no pics of a guy with my particular shape wearing a DB suit.

Does anyone have any pics they could share that might help me visualize how I might look in a DB suit? Something in the ballpark of my body type (please see pic below)?

(And yes, before anyone suggests it, I am making arrangements locally to try on a DB suit for myself...though these seem shockingly rare off-the-rack in my city.)

Any help appreciated - pics or advice - thanks!

IMG_1619 3_LI.jpg

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

Love this thread (have looked through many of the 458 pages), and seeking a little help.

My first "good" suit half-a-lifetime ago was a double-breasted Donna Karan Gold Label (made in Italy) navy pinstripe in the 1990s. I loved that suit and got a ton of nice comments on it - was my go-to suit for a few years. I was a more slender lad back then...I recall that suit was a 42R (US sizing).

Since then I have put on some pounds, and I have exclusively worn single-breasted suits and jackets. But now I am really drawn to the beautiful Napoli-style double-breasted suits I'm seeing.

I really want to commission a bespoke DB suit from a tailor in Naples (don't need help with this part - have it lined up).

The (potential) issue is that I'm a big guy. Not obese...but on the bigger side. I am 6 foot, have a 46" chest and a 39" waist. In my recently purchased Attolini sports jacket, my size is 56R7 (please take a look at the pic below just for an idea of body type). Hidden well by this jacket is a bit of a belly/gut. But I can still look nice and fit well in a drop-7 SB jacket.

I must have looked at thousands of pics of gents in double-breasted suits, but they all seem to fall into 2 categories: (1) gents who are rotund/obese, and (2) gents who are slender/slim/fit.

I mean no offense when I say that I find the pics of gents in category (1) wearing double-breasted suits are generally not pleasing to my eye. Of course the pics of category (2) are mostly better (barring some bad fits).

Oddly, I have seen pretty much no pics of a guy with my particular shape wearing a DB suit.

Does anyone have any pics they could share that might help me visualize how I might look in a DB suit? Something in the ballpark of my body type (please see pic below)?

(And yes, before anyone suggests it, I am making arrangements locally to try on a DB suit for myself...though these seem shockingly rare off-the-rack in my city.)

View attachment 1797149
Ethan Newton might be a good inspiration for DB?

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Ethan Newton might be a good inspiration for DB?

Thank you! That pic is exactly what I was hoping to see - a bigger gent wearing DB with great fit and style!!!

I'll check out his IG for more.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! That pic is exactly what I was hoping to see - a bigger gent wearing DB with great fit and style!!!

I'll check out his IG for more.

You might wanna check out Anthony Sylvester as well, though he leans a little more casual than Ethan. His IG is Toneloki.

475D4AB8-0AFC-4361-976B-4D6EF6CCE004.jpeg

BlueSteel

Reaction score
You might wanna check out Anthony Sylvester as well, though he leans a little more casual than Ethan. His IG is Toneloki.

View attachment 1797240

Thank you! Yes - I saw some of this gent's photos before, but because he does dress in a more casual/loose style, I was finding it hard to get a good feel for how well something more tailored/fitted would look on him.

He does have some panache though!

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Unrelated to my earlier post today (this model definitely does not share my build issues), I do really love this Attolini DB from the last FW collection:

Attolini Double Breast Suit.png

fliberdygibbit

Reaction score
Have a look at the tailor Steven Hitchcock. English, but he cuts a beautiful DB jacket and wears it well.

Hi All!

View attachment 1797149

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All!

View attachment 1797149
Not sure if I fall into the category of ‘pleasing to the eye wearing a DB suit’ but here’s a picture of my new bespoke one. Perhaps not completely your size, but I wouldn’t call myself slender/slim/fit..

691145A3-9F2E-446E-8F77-0688300694DB.jpeg

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Not sure if I fall into the category of ‘pleasing to the eye wearing a DB suit’ but here’s a picture of my new bespoke one. Perhaps not completely your size, but I wouldn’t call myself slender/slim/fit..

View attachment 1798613

You look very good to me, sir! I like that there is some nice waist suppression there - the suit jacket has a nice shape to it that I think is flattering to the wearer.

Thanks for posting this!

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You look very good to me, sir! I like that there is some nice waist suppression there - the suit jacket has a nice shape to it that I think is flattering to the wearer.

Thanks for posting this!
Yes, I was quite pleased that my tailor managed to make that waist suppression work. If it hadn’t been there the jacket wouldn’t have looked good at all I think.

You’re welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads