• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would expect a DB to be a bit shorter, but I find that jacket more flattering to Simon than most others.

Last edited:

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
This guy’s not happy. The jacket is a mess. Will never be right. Wonder what the story is about the buttonhole on the lapel. Intentional or a mistake?

Aside from the buttonhole, I am curious as to what makes you say that this is a mess?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aside from the buttonhole, I am curious as to what makes you say that this is a mess?
@TheShetlandSweater
The diagonal pull lines from the middle button upwards towards the back indicate a short back. Meaning the balance is off. Short back causes the fronts to splay open and you can see the front edge is not perpendicular to the ground but falling away and putting tension on the button. Front edge from the button to the hem is flaring out and not laying against the body. If the jacket were unbuttoned you would see the fronts fall away. The back view confirms the short back and you see various diagonal drag lines on the back and under the arms on the side body.
The sleeves are attached poorly. Not enough fullness and they break at the front.

dan'l

Reaction score
@TheShetlandSweater
The diagonal pull lines from the middle button upwards towards the back indicate a short back. Meaning the balance is off. Short back causes the fronts to splay open and you can see the front edge is not perpendicular to the ground but falling away and putting tension on the button. Front edge from the button to the hem is flaring out and not laying against the body. If the jacket were unbuttoned you would see the fronts fall away. The back view confirms the short back and you see various diagonal drag lines on the back and under the arms on the side body.
The sleeves are attached poorly. Not enough fullness and they break at the front.
It almost seems as if Kamoshita has come to the same conclusion and is pondering how to express his dissatisfaction.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It almost seems as if Kamoshita has come to the same conclusion and is pondering how to express his dissatisfaction.
Agreed! Last picture I read he’s trying to figure out why the front is such a mess. Both are bewildered

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
@TheShetlandSweater

I see all that, but I also don't think the jacket looks bad at all. I guess my priorities are different. My opinion on the matter might also be different if I were paying for it, and of course I can see why you would be very bothered by these things.

At any rate, thanks for the informative post. It is interesting to see how much you can tell from a few photos.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see all that, but I also don't think the jacket looks bad at all. I guess my priorities are different. My opinion on the matter might also be different if I were paying for it, and of course I can see why you would be very bothered by these things.

At any rate, thanks for the informative post. It is interesting to see how much you can tell from a few photos.
If I made that jacket, it would be a do over.
If you tried the jacket on you would be put off with how it feels and moves. It’s off/distorted in a significant way.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheShetlandSweater

Naples and the people in the city had a laid back, carefree type of vibe when I visited. I'm not surprised with how the jacket turned out.

Do you think a tailor has more incentive to pay close attention to the mistakes you're pointing out if he charged a higher price for his services?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Naples and the people in the city had a laid back, carefree type of vibe when I visited. I'm not surprised with how the jacket turned out.

Do you think a tailor has more incentive to pay close attention to the mistakes you're pointing out if he charged a higher price for his services?
Don’t see a connection with the price charged.
Abilities aren’t always aligned with price even though your expectations are.
You could pay more and get less or vice versa.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@lordsuperb

Did you get one of the Neapolitan T-shirts or the hoodie that reads

“The defect is the effect”

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads