1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Double Breasted Style.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., May 29, 2008.

1. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

That is a killer DB! Consistently so elegant cleav! One of my favorite posters if I may say so..

2. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

Realy great,a perfect double breasted!!!
    Who is the tailor?

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, on all points. The jacket looks very A&S, except that the boutonnieres suggest somebody from another continent. As do the buttons, of course.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

It's Belvest. :D

5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

chalk stripes are great...

6. mythikal

mythikal Active Member

[/QUOTE]
    Love the color of the suit

7. mythikal

mythikal Active Member

Are all your DBs bespoke? I really like the lengths of your DBs, I find a lot of DBs seem to be much longer.

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

That's very kind Choc, I'm honoured indeed!

9. Cleav

Thanks Gents, it is a Belvest. It cam a little long and baggy so my tailor Ashley Buckley did the work.

10. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

Belvest,wow!!
    Italy often is more British that Britain!

11. Cleav

Well, aint that right

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

13. SwedishFish

SwedishFish Senior member

Ah, yes, I can see it now. I got so inspired by your pic that I actually ordered a db blazer (albeit in a hopefully muted navy plaid). It's a style I have been looking at for so long but I don't have the athletic frame as in most good-looking db pics I have seen. I really hope the jacket fits and that I can pull it off!

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Before SF I didn't really like them, they seemed old fashioned, but I have since then seen so many excellent pictures and fits with them I've been inspired to try them, and I'm glad I am doing the same for you. Good luck with your blazer.

15. SwedishFish

Thanks! If all goes well I might post a picture. I was shopping in Bicester Village yesterday for some basics and I saw a guy wearing one, which just confirmed to me that I made the right decision to place an order. I wish I could have tried one one first, but where I am located they just don't carry db styles. If you know of any good places in London, please do let me know as I might go there for various errands in the weeks ahead.

16. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

It depends on your price range I am sure there are bespoke options in the UK, and Steed does a cheaper MTM service, though it's a bit expensive. Ede and Ravenscroft does some RTW, and Gieves and Hawkes RTW has been decent in my experience too. Brooks Brothers has shops here too of course but I don't personally like their styles as much.

17. SwedishFish

Depressingly enough, Ede and Ravenscroft is the only option in my town, butI boycott it due to past negative experiences. Unfortunately, my tastes are too expensive for my wallet, but I generally prefer to buy high end stuff on sale or save up for what I want rather than buying 'compromise' garments. The db jacket I ordered is from Hardy Amies. I have no experience of that brand but I have seen stuff from them in the past which I really liked so here's hoping it will be a match made in sartorial heaven.

Lately I've been quite stuck in a RLBL and RLPL bubble as that is what I can usually find at good discounts (plus I know my fits etc which makes it easy to order online), but I have been wanting to break out of that bubble for a while now, and maybe this is where it all starts... :)

18. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I believe Gieves and Hawkes has a store at the Bicester Village and I thought the selection was decent. I would imagine they have some DB jackets there but I'm not sure. They have an online section here as well: http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/tailoring/tailoring.html and you might find some sales. A jacket I was inspired by was posted by Claghorn and I believe he got it from Huntsman ready to wear, so maybe you can look there too (http://www.h-huntsman.com/tailoring/) though they seem to be quite expensive.

I should note also that the bespoke jackets I got only cost me about 350-450 GBP each with CMT, so it's actually quite cheap, but of course I had to go to Hong Kong to get it made. Some do offer overseas service but those are somewhat more risky of course.

19. SwedishFish

Yes, there is a Gieves and Hawkes in Bicester. But to be honest, in my size 36-38R, 30-31w, there is never much to be found in Bicester in terms of fine tailoring. The two Bicester outlets where I occasionally get lucky are Ralph Lauren and Burberry, which coincidentally are also the biggest stores there. Yesterday I found a black shawl collar RLBL dinner jacket in 36R, which just never happens. I almost bought it, but I have no need for one right now. Also found a RLBL suit in 36R, in the exact same model I already own (a solid light grey for £350 if someone is interested in making a Bicester trip)... Nothing double-breasted though although I have seen RRL and RLBL double breasted suits and jackets in bigger sizes in the outlet in the past. I also went to the Brooks Brothers outlet there which is a joke.

Probably the best value of anything I saw during the trip was a £250 Coach briefcase (no loud logos or other distracting details). I am sure it was in their made for outlet collection, but the styling and leather quality seemed on par with, if not better, than the more than twice as expensive Mulberry briefcase across the faux street. Sorry for the OT.

20. SwedishFish

Here's the db blazer I ordered. Don't mind the other clothes as I tried on the jacket with the clothes I wore to work yesterday. The image quality is poor, because this is actually a screencap from a video shot on an ipad. Alas, I do not have a nice camera, or a nice, bright room for that matter. For £250 I am happy with it. I think it fits well, and lengthwise it hits the mark for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.