• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Double Breasted Style.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly it's a carry-over from the time when Jews in Eastern Europe were forbidden to carry weapons. Most men are right handed and would carry a blade or gun near their left hip to be drawn across the body. A traditional left-over-right buttoning coat facilitates this (especially double-breasted), allowing a right hand to reach into the left side of the jacket without the right side of the jacket holding it tight to the body. Jews would thus wear their coats buttoned in the opposite direction as a visual cue that they were unarmed and unable, if right-handed, to conveniently draw a weapon.

That's what I have heard. No idea if it's the true origin. But it's a real tradition:

View attachment 1243907
Not sure I love the cut of this guy's coat, but its got a sort of futuristic vibe to it that I kind of like....

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably just me, but Luca's suit jackets look unbalanced to me when he has them buttoned low. Because they are on the short side, it makes them look "off" to me.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably just me, but Luca's suit jackets look unbalanced to me when he has them buttoned low. Because they are on the short side, it makes them look "off" to me.
I’ve never much liked his dbs for just this reason. They’d look much better with a higher button point.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jackets aren't short he just has weird proportions.

yanagi

Reaction score
I concur with you. I think the 6x2 jacket looks much more balanced than the preceding 6x1's.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.