• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MarkWinter

Reaction score
Douglas Cordeaux

Fox-Brothers9065Piers-Cunliffe.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yKnCjlq.png

Flusser is his tailor.

What I find interesting in the menswear community/with modern dandies is the trend for far too short sleeves. What is the purpose? Is having too loose a suit so scary a prospect that one errs the other way? Is the idea to have the perfect length whilst at rest with arms lying by the side?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yKnCjlq.png

Flusser is his tailor.

What I find interesting in the menswear community/with modern dandies is the trend for far too short sleeves. What is the purpose? Is having too loose a suit so scary a prospect that one errs the other way? Is the idea to have the perfect length whilst at rest with arms lying by the side?
I think the more likely answer is that they have no clue or the ‘standards’ and perceptions over what the correct length is have changed.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the more likely answer is that they have no clue or the ‘standards’ and perceptions over what the correct length is have changed.
But in this case we have Roger Stone, who said he had not bought RTW since the age of 17; wearing a suit by Alan Flusser, who literally wrote the book(s) on CM (including multiple examples held in high regard here). I'm sure they know what they are doing.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But in this case we have Roger Stone, who said he had not bought RTW since the age of 17; wearing a suit by Alan Flusser, who literally wrote the book(s) on CM (including multiple examples held in high regard here). I'm sure they know what they are doing.
Even experienced people can be abit hit and miss sometimes. Someone can write a guidebook to something but it may not necessarily be gospel. Some things we like and others we don’t and tastes can differ from person to person. Also we are talking about a guy whom has a tattoo of Nixon on his back ;) he has some odd tastes...

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly he gets some of his double breasted suits made by Anderson and sheppard

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meh. That’s all for show. I know he gets some stuff rtw. But for bespoke, he’s more of an anderson & Sheppard man than flusser. Although I heard he’s venturing out beyond the soft drape cut.

Even the seersucker double breasted posted isn’t bespoke.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yKnCjlq.png

Flusser is his tailor.

Well, no different then the “perfect” no break length on trouser if you’re not moving, as soon as you move the “perfect” will look too short...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be hesitant to definitively declare the sleeves (at least in that case) too short based on that pic. If anything, I'd say he leans the opposite way. Have to account for the fact that his arms are extended here, and reaching forward, which is very likely exacerbating the issue.
All in all, I think I'd label this #fakenews

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads