Double Breasted Style.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., May 29, 2008.

1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

That's as good as it gets.

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

The only thing that kills it for me is wearing the watch.

3. ericgereghty

Wearing a watch, or wearing THAT watch? I definitely agree if it's the former.

4. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Wearing a watch, not to mention a metallic sports watch, to your own wedding. LAME

5. ericgereghty

Interesting. I wouldn't have expected much fault to be found with wearing a watch, but to each his own, I suppose.

Note: a proper dress watch, not a sport watch.

6. h3ro

h3ro Senior member

I think sometimes, the 'rules' need to be thrown out the window.

I'm not sure of the significance of this person's watch but I can share my own experience from my wedding. I wore a traditional smoking/dinner jacket for my reception, replete with slippers. My wife and in-laws were generous enough to gift me a lovely watch. It is a Sub/diver watch and obviously isn't a match for what I was wearing. However, it was my wedding and I wanted to show my new family how much I appreciated their gift. So I wore my 40mm bulky sub watch along with my smoking jacket, bow and velvet slippers and had a blast.

It's only lame if you are willing to let these ethereal 'rules' govern every aspect of how you dress. If you step back, it's really not that big of a deal.

7. ericgereghty

I think both of these points are quite obvious. If you're going to have a joyous day ruined by a useless trinket (for better or worse, watches are thus) not jiving with the rest of your outfit, there may need to be a reassessment of values.

By rules, it's wrong, but, at the end of the day, virtually nobody is going to scoff at a watch being "wrong," and, more importantly, you shouldn't care if anyone does.

For me, I'd prefer a dressier watch, in situations beyond wedding attire, but that is based far more along the lines of my own tastes than whatever rulebook exists in the ether.

8. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I wasn't aware that it was a rule.

I enjoyed the pictures until seeing the one where he's sitting with arm splayed, with french cuffs, boutonniere, handkerchief, watch, etc, and it was too much visual information. It looked cluttered and caused cognitive dissonance.

Plus, it's a largish metallic watch. That doesn't fit the context to me. As for weddings, it seems like the one occasion where you wouldn't need to have a watch on you. You are doing one thing all day. It would be just as ritualistic NOT to wear a watch. It's like having sex or taking a bath, one of those moments when a timepiece is, both functionally and decoratively, not needed.

I don't know why you assumed I was being craven to some "rule," then proceeded to clarify your own tastes, when I made it totally clear when saying "for me," that I was talking about my own like or dislike of it.

9. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

10. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member