• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that last set. Wow.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A dissonant chord at the end of a beautiful cadenza of posts, @lordsuperb
Yes, the poison always comes as dessert. I was having a good time with black and white pics and watched the noname who gives me nausea.
cold[1].gif

Btw, all that fabric pull on the stomach on the Onassys and others DB is not proper tailoring. Is considering a fault to avoid when studying tailoring.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My new DB made out of Abraham Moon midnight blue barathea, opinions?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer a wider lapel but since it's my first double breasted with a new tailor, I deferred to his experience and he suggested that since I was a smaller size, to opt for a 3" lapel so it's more 'proportionate'. I'm 5ft 7 and wear a size 34r - 35 s Jacket for reference.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually prefer a wider lapel but since it's my first double breasted with a new tailor, I deferred to his experience and he suggested that since I was a smaller size, to opt for a 3" lapel so it's more 'proportionate'. I'm 5ft 7 and wear a size 34r - 35 s Jacket for reference.

Put it on and post a picture of you wearing the suit.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will do that when I get it :) It's nearly finished.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Couldn't get a good photo of the jacket on me, will get a friend to take it but here is some close up for perspective. Too narrow?

Winot

Reaction score
I think so, yes. Rule of thumb is that lapel should extend half way to sleeve.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is way too narrow. What tailor is suggesting you a 4x1 double breasted suit. The general rule on a double breasted suit is you can go with a wider-than-normal lapel. Are those besom pockets too? I mean, I guess they're okay, not my cup of tea - only on black tie. But maybe its okay, take a picture with it on - maybe it all looks proportionate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads