• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Sport Coats (not blazers)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Yes they are dated I never said they weren't but they are an accesorie and not a main peice. There is a huge diffrent between a dated accesory and a dated peice like a jacket.

If you think that wearing a DB jacket draws any more attention than wearing a bow-tie then you're sorely deluded.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen or other not-too-formal summer cloth in a solid colour, 4x2/1 configuration, three patch pockets, side vents: perfect. Go for it. I'm contemplating something similar at the moment, though I might end up making a simple blazer with horn or MOP buttons in that configuration.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know I've seen great ones in WAYWT, but something about patch pockets doesn't sit right with a DB jacket...to me DB screams formality (in the modern sense of the word) and patch pockets yell , relax, your relaxing in front of a fire in the country!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I know I've seen great ones in WAYWT, but something about patch pockets doesn't sit right with a DB jacket...to me DB screams formality (in the modern sense of the word) and patch pockets yell , relax, your relaxing in front of a fire in the country!

One man's modus ponens is another man's modus tollens: to me the patch pockets take away some of the excessive stiffness of a DB. Of course a mid-way solution would be to have a welted breast pocket, but then I think that a patch breast pocket goes very well with 4B DBs. Also, a 4B DB is less formal than a 6B, other things being equal.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Linen or other not-too-formal summer cloth in a solid colour, 4x2/1 configuration, three patch pockets, side vents: perfect. Go for it. I'm contemplating something similar at the moment, though I might end up making a simple blazer with horn or MOP buttons in that configuration.

If you're going to do it, this is the way to do it.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they are dated I never said they weren't but they are an accesorie and not a main peice. There is a huge diffrent between a dated accesory and a dated peice like a jacket.

You are wrong. Just accept this and move on.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The style is a bit much for a sport coat. It's fine for a blazer and even a suit if your going for that dated look.

ermenegildozegnafall201.jpg

(Zegna Fall 2010)

doublebreasteddriesvann.jpg

(Dries van Noten SS 2010)

doublebreastedlanvin.jpg

(Lanvin SS 2010)

Apparently none of these people got the memo from BowTieLover that double-breasted is 'dated'
frown.gif

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Linen or other not-too-formal summer cloth in a solid colour, 4x2/1 configuration, three patch pockets, side vents: perfect. Go for it.
Yes. This would probably be better in a 4B, but still nice.
dbpatch1copy.jpg

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One man's modus ponens is another man's modus tollens: to me the patch pockets take away some of the excessive stiffness of a DB. Of course a mid-way solution would be to have a welted breast pocket, but then I think that a patch breast pocket goes very well with 4B DBs. Also, a 4B DB is less formal than a 6B, other things being equal.

You know the more I think about why they don't sit well with me, the less sense it makes. I mean, its a sport coat, its not supposed to be "formal". Although I'm sure today's modern dress standards and trends have something to do with the oxymoronic position...

confused.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
ermenegildozegnafall201.jpg

They're not dated, but they will be by summer - and they've crossed the line that divides menswear from womenswear that apes menswear. These are different in one key regard - a man's jacket will cover his ass and de-emphasize his hips, and a woman's will reveal hers. By that light, this is womenswear, and is intended to be dated.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently none of these people got the memo from BowTieLover that double-breasted is 'dated'
frown.gif

Don't fight him. Just ignore him.
teacha.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
They're not dated, but they will be by summer - and they've crossed the line that divides menswear from womenswear that apes menswear. These are different in one key regard - a man's jacket will cover his ass and de-emphasize his hips, and a woman's will reveal hers. By that light, this is womenswear, and is intended to be dated.

I have no idea what you're on about. Obviously there is a line between style and fashion, where fashion comes and goes but something that is stylish is always stylish. The very mention of the word 'dated' implied we are talking about fashion though, since something that is timelessly stylish will never be 'dated', and the simple fact is that double-breasted suits and jackets are very much having a resurgence at the moment in the 'fashion' world.

Whether you want to take your cues from 'fashion' or not is debatable (and most on this forum don't), but it's pretty clear that to describe the double-breasted look as 'dated' is just plain wrong.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what you're on about. Obviously there is a line between style and fashion, where fashion comes and goes but something that is stylish is always stylish. The very mention of the word 'dated' implied we are talking about fashion though, since something that is timelessly stylish will never be 'dated', and the simple fact is that double-breasted suits and jackets are very much having a resurgence at the moment in the 'fashion' world. Whether you want to take your cues from 'fashion' or not is debatable (and most on this forum don't), but it's pretty clear that to describe the double-breasted look as 'dated' is just plain wrong.
What you say is somewhat true but remember people will carry some associations fixed at a certain time in their life to the grave. There are just some people who will never get over the time when double breasted odd jackets (aside from the blazer) were gauche. It is incumbent on the wearer to bear this in mind. I could give another example with jacquard striped shirt which for a certain generation is solely for evening events but for another has become a perfectly acceptable day shirt.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Petrol Blue linen with white MOP buttons? Doesn't Phat Guido have one like that?

like this:
7019NavyDBWeb.jpg

I always loved this coat. It's righteous. I would call this a blazer though, not a SC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads