1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Double breasted peak lapel on single breasted suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by airbag, May 8, 2005.

1. airbag

airbag Member

Hi all, new member to the site.

I recently went to try on my new made-to-measure, two button, three-piece suit. When going through the mesurement/design stage I opted to go for a peak lapel thinking that it would be a standard narrow, single breasted lapel only peak instead of notch.

The lapel that I have got is actually a double breasted peak lapel so this gives the jacket it a very 1970s look, which I don't particularly mind. The problem is however that not anticipating this style/size of lapel I opted for my usual choice in trousers which is a straight cut slim-fit, not a boot-cut which I could perhaps should have gone for. I now feel as if I have suit with the trouser and suit mis-matched through different styles.

Can anyone let me have their views? Am I looking at a problem that isn't there?

2. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

Could ya post a pic? I always thought a peaked lapel is a peaked lapel.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

As a general matter, all the parts of a suit should be in scale and harmony with all the others, including the lapels. Yet I would worry less about the lapels being on the wide side than I would about the trouser legs being in scale with the fullness of the coat. If those work together well, you should be fine. But I agree that pictures would help.

4. airbag

airbag Member

I don't really have access to anything digital to post a picture...

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Hickey Freeman, by any chance? I got a single breasted peaked lapel MTM from them and they are gigantic. Suit looks horrible.

6. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Bootcut? [​IMG] Good thing you didn't go with bootcut.

7. airbag

airbag Member

Roderick Charles, London.