• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Navy Blue Blazer: Cool or Uncool?

miurasv

Reaction score
I've just picked up 2 DB blazers with gold coloured buttons as well as one SB version and have been reading on another site about people's hostile attitudes and opinions towards the navy blue blazer. I bought them with the intention of wearing casually both for day wear and for going out in the night at the weekend. I happen to think that a well cut fitted blazer is a really smart thing to wear. What do you think?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miurasv
I happen to think that a well cut fitted blazer is a really smart thing to wear. What do you think?
I agree. I also like both db and sb blazers.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miurasv
I've just picked up 2 DB blazers with gold coloured buttons as well as one SB version and have been reading on another site about people's hostile attitudes and opinions towards the navy blue blazer.

At which Internet site will you be wearing your blazer?

If you will be wearing it at the site that is hostile to it, you might study some mixed martial arts in case a miner from the outback shows up.

- B

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
At which Internet site will you be wearing your blazer?

If you will be wearing it at the site that is hostile to it, you might study some mixed martial arts in case a miner from the outback shows up.

- B

Just don't get into an argument with the miner about heavy metal, and you should be fine!

in fits of print

Reaction score
The double-breasted blazer has a definite yacht club vibe. I've got one I'll wear to, say, cocktail parties, but not at casual out-on-the-town bars. The single-breasted is more flexible.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I've attended social functions at a couple of yacht clubs. Normally, I am the only man in a blazer (even a single-breasted one). At the last such event, I received some good natured ribbing as to whether I was running for commodore because of the blazer I was wearing.

Real yachtspeople are not a very sartorially elegant lot in my experience.

luciosilla

Reaction score
Well, opinions, assholes, elbows, etc, but I finally jettisoned a DB navy blazer because it just seemed too ostentatious.

And yachties really are a pretty grubby lot, in general. The impression I usually take away is "skin cancer," because they tend to have leathery, sun-decimated hides.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thumbs up.
4378174106_3f98595908.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
^I've attended social functions at a couple of yacht clubs. Normally, I am the only man in a blazer (even a single-breasted one). At the last such event, I received some good natured ribbing as to whether I was running for commodore because of the blazer I was wearing.

Real yachtspeople are not a very sartorially elegant lot in my experience.

I think that I would like to be commodore of a yacht club. Something to strive for.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although to answer the OP's question, I think the fact that I support them makes them inherently uncool.

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Although to answer the OP's question, I think the fact that I support them makes them inherently uncool.

Nah, that you support them means they're cool.

Gutman

Reaction score
Yes, for day-time (2+4 brass buttons), no for night-time. Must be a good cut, two vents, not one of those old-man looking blazers from High Street with the button stance too low. Single breasted is too bowling club, you would be better off with a SB normal sports jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics