• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double-breasted jacket on thin people

linux_pro

Reaction score
I am consider picking up a couple double-breasted suits, and a DB navy blazer. I have been told numerous times that DB jackets do not look appropriate on a thinner person, especially one whose jacket size is 38R (like me). My pic is in my avatar. Does it look like a DB jacket would look tacky on someone with my shape? I've tried one on, and I liked it, but my girlfriend also said she thought it looked too square or something. Any feedback, guys?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually I prefer DB jackets on thinner individuals, if you do a search, you'll find some info about it (it's called details anti-db rant) or something. I think a DB jacket can look good on someone who is tall, thin and in shape but may not be the best choice for others.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 38r, and most of my suits are DB. I prefer the cut (6X2), and think it actually flatters my body type better than a traditional 2 button.

koji

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ditto ditto

i am small. i like db

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the can look good on thin people. I recntly started wearing one that i got from CUFFTHIS and i had to have it taken in at the sides a lot but it is farily form fitting. I also saw one that was really slim fitting and looked good at the Zegna outlet at woodburry commons and i think it was GQ or Cargo two issues ago they had a YSL or Ralph Lauren or something DB that looked like it was on a thin individual. I think as long as they have some waist suppression you are fine.

cuffthis

Reaction score
in my opinion, it's the silhouette of the jacket that matters more than SB or DB. Shoulder size, waist suppression, button stance will do a lot more (or less) for you than single or double breasted.

It's all in the tailoring.

alaaro

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of double breasted at all. Right or wrong, I associate them with a larger person.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was always of the belief that double-breasted coats look better on the thinner because they don't create a box-like effect on the upper body as they do with the larger folks.

Granted, you have to be pretty out of shape for a double-breasted coat to make you look bad.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have been told numerous times that DB jackets do not look appropriate on a thinner person
This is just wrong. DB favors the slim.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was always of the belief that double-breasted coats look better on the thinner because they don't create a box-like effect on the upper body as they do with the larger folks.
Your avatar is proof that DB looks good on the thin (as does SB).

cuffthis

Reaction score
I recntly started wearing one that i got from CUFFTHIS and i had to have it taken in at the sides a lot but it is farily form fitting.

Post some pics for us.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I really like a DB blazer, but the waist has to be tapered quite a bit. Otherwise you get the undesirable boxy effect, which seems prominent with DB suits.

I personally prefer single-breasted in almost any occasion, but no man's wardrobe is complete without a *nice* DB.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heres some pics, this is the suit cuffthis gave me, i had it taken in at the sides, its listed at a 41r but fit like a 40/39r and now after being altered fits more like 38/39. I'm usually a 38/39 depending on brand. Note i'm only 5'11" give or take an inch and 148 pounds.

linux_pro

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads