• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Jacket: Blind button thread running through inside of breast pocket

iurvox

Reaction score
I own several double-breasted jackets and coats.

They are 6x2 configurations and have a breast pocket for the pocket square. Hovering over the outside of that breast pocket is one of the 4 blind buttons, obviously.

Now, on some jackets, the thread that attaches the blind button to the jacket is going through the outer layer of the fabric and through the inside of the breast pocket. This means that pocket squares physically cannot go all the way to the bottom of the breast pocket. Rather, they get stuck a the spot where the blind button is located, due to the blind button's thread running through the inside of the breast pocket.

I have this on one lined and on one unlined jacket of different manufacturers.

Funny thing is, I actually have two identical RTW jackets sitting here, both ordered within a few weeks from a well-known source. I was about to return one of those jackets due to quality issues (different topic). Now, I just realized that one of both jackets has the blind button sewn through the breast pocket, while the other jacket has the blind button thread only go through the outer fabric. On the latter jacket, I checked the inside of the breast pocket to look for any "hole" which might indicate that there has been a thread in the past. Could not spot such hole, I guess the blind button had never been sewn through in the first place.

Is the thread going through the inside of the breast pocket a random manufacturing flaw? Or is it done by design, i.e. a feature? If so, then why does one of my two identical jackets have this "feature", and one does not? Thanks!

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the threat going through the inside of the breast pocket a random manufacturing flaw? Or is it done by design, i.e. a feature? If so, then why does one of my two identical jackets have this "feature", and one does not? Thanks!
I don't know if it's a random flaw, but it's a flaw, certainly. I would interpret it as lazy manufacture.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would certainly agree with Andy57, it is a badly made garment which should be returned whence it came. However it is not a flaw, all its siblings will be exactly the same as that is what the factory is paid to produce.

However, this "On the latter jacket, I checked the inside of the breast pocket to look for any "hole" which might indicated that there has been a thread in the past" suggests it is second hand and therefore this would not be a flaw as such merely a cheapskate garment.

iurvox

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you.

As for the "latter jacket": It was a SuitSupply pre-order and came in the instant it hit the shelves. Hardly a chance another customer owned it before.

I guess it depends on the way the worker attaches that button. The worker will probably have at hand the entire outer fabric, including the integrated breast pocket layer (it is not a patch pocket). Attaching the button, the worker will then either stop the needle stitches right behind the outer shell (i.e. with the needle right inside the breast pocket) or he will sew all the through. In the latter case, due to the addition of the jacket's inner fabric layer and/or lining, that stitch will become invisible on the inside of the jacket. But it will affect the inside of the breast pocket and possiby the drape of that blind button. The blind button will always remain close to the chest/shirt, even if the pocket is filled with a voluminously folded square.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics