• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Buttoning Point Differences

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've been very interested in DBs recently and it's been difficult to see examples of how changing which button you button affects the look. I'm posting my newest DB showing these differences. If anyone else has any DBs to contribute that use different buttoning configurations, please post them as well! (ahem Yachtie) I'd be particularly interested in seeing a good 4x1.
yfyf-2008-11-29-re.jpg

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not a DB man, so I can't contribute any pictures. To get the conversation, rolling, however, I might add that the first configuration i.e. a 6x2 with both buttoned is often worn by Prince Charles and can look great, as it does here, and suffers no such problems as does a SB coat when the same is attempted. The second is pretty hip, i.e. buttoning just the bottom. But I must ask, does the coat gape a bit when you walk? Finally, the third is the ordinary way for a 6x2 and is not problematic.
PS You can't fool me, four is the same as two! Also, great choice on the buttons there.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I prefer just the top button done up, or both done up.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for me, I button both buttons - like the picture on the left

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I normally prefer the top button to be fastened alone. But on you, fastening the bottom button looks the best--at least in these pictures.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought fastening only the bottom button looked silly and overly affected. For instance, this picture of Luciano Barbera: I just don't think it looks that great. However, your second picture has changed my opinion. There's something very elegant about the way your lapel rolls.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I've always thought fastening only the bottom button looked silly and overly affected. For instance, this picture of Luciano Barbera:

I just don't think it looks that great. However, your second picture has changed my opinion. There's something very elegant about the way your lapel rolls.

Slightly dificult to tell but this looks as if it maybe a button 1.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always thought fastening only the bottom button looked silly and overly affected. For instance, this picture of Luciano Barbera:

You think Luciano Barbera looks affected? I think he looks fantastic.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Slightly dificult to twll but this looks as if it maybe a button 1.
It's not. You can see the other buttonhole on the rolled lapel.
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes, I do. But I think a lot of sprezzatura looks affected. Maybe it's sacrilegious to accuse someone such as Mr. Barbera of affectations, but I just don't like the unnatural lines created by his buttoning. Perhaps, I believe his look falls more into the doesn't look good camp, rather than the affectation camp, but either way, I don't like the way it looks.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yfyf's jacket looks like it is intended to button at the upper button only as the lapel curves right above that point. Is the interior button only at the upper location?

sammy

Reaction score
I think Barbera's coat looks sloppy. I'm all for Sprezzatura, but that's Sprezzaterrible.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

I agree. It's not Flusser-sloppy, but someone comfortable in clothes that are worn in without care. What makes it is that the shirt and tie are fastidiously done.

A bit of rumpling and imperfection is manly.

- B

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I normally prefer the top button to be fastened alone. But on you, fastening the bottom button looks the best--at least in these pictures.

I thought you normal buttoned all 24 buttons.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I do. But I think a lot of sprezzatura looks affected. Maybe it's sacrilegious to accuse someone such as Mr. Barbera of affectations, but I just don't like the unnatural lines created by his buttoning. Perhaps, I believe his look falls more into the doesn't look good camp, rather than the affectation camp, but either way, I don't like the way it looks.

I don't see any 'sprezzatura' in that pictire. His suit fits well; everything else seems very fastidious. He always wears brown suede shoes. Very anti-sprezzatura, if anything.

Originally Posted by grimslade
I thought you normal buttoned all 24 buttons.

Minus the two on my collar and two on my shirt.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I've been very interested in DBs recently and it's been difficult to see how changing which button you button affects the look. If anyone else has any DBs to contribute that use different buttoning configurations, please post them as well! (ahem Yachtie) I'd be particularly interested in seeing a good 4x1.

Reposted my comments from the WAYW thread...

Originally Posted by Holdfast
Great suit. I like it best with both buttons done up, which I wouldn't have expected without seeing all the variants. Middle only is classic of course, but for the proportions of the suit, I think both buttoned actually works best.

To add, I have a couple of 4x2 and 6x2, but one of the 6x2 can just about be worn as a 6x1 if I want to. It's a summer suit though, so I don't have any pics handy right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads