1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DORMEUIL Paris Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Distinguished Member

I just picked up a Dormeuil Solid Navy tie.
    Very impressive, very thick and substantial, excellent fabric and texture. I just tied it and it holds incredibly. $135 from Despsos Custom Tailoring, so it's a fair price relative to the Borrelli ties I love so.

Anybody else have any experience with Dormeuil ties.
    Tie one on. Dor-may

Soph

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Dor-may
    No.

Any native speakers want to weigh in on how to pronounce this? If I'm wrong about it, then I apologize, but if the above pronunciation is a mistake, I don't want it propagated.

3. Soph

Soph Distinguished Member

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=Dormeuil

Manton writes:
    I don't believe this is right. Everyone in the trade I've ever talked to pronounces it "door-MAY." So did the employees at the now-closed store in New York.

Dorian writes:
    Ask someone who speaks French to say 'Dormeiul' and I think you'll find that it is a mix of dor-may and dor-moy with eu sound in there.

It is obviously not an easy translation to English as there seems to be some debate about its correct spoken form.

--- The main thrust however, is some exceptional ties[​IMG] in some tasteful, classical patterns from what I have seen. Beautiful![​IMG]