• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't twist my arm!

Mr. White

Reaction score
Seems like every washing machine I ever used had the same problem: it twisted the arms of my shirts and the legs of my pants. The machines put such deep creases into the clothing that drying didn't remove them.

I'm thinking about buying a new washer/dryer combo. Are the new machines any better, or should I just be glad I know to steam clothes?

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
washing_machine_brick_face.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Seems like every washing machine I ever used had the same problem: it twisted the arms of my shirts and the legs of my pants. The machines put such deep creases into the clothing that drying didn't remove them. I'm thinking about buying a new washer/dryer combo. Are the new machines any better, or should I just be glad I know to steam clothes?
Are you using top-loading machines? Switch to front-loaders. Also, if you're going to wash expensive/nice clothing in the washer, it's worth investing some serious coin in a high-end washer. There is a world of difference between the sputtering, rusted, Soviet-era hulk in your typical apartment building and the sleek, many-cycled, whisper-quiet machines at the higher end of today's lines. There isn't as big a difference as marketers would have you believe between high-end and low-end (or even between high-end and midrange) in most home appliance categories. But in the world of washers and dryers, there's a pretty noticeable range in performance and quality. Unfortunately, not in reliability. Pretty much all washers and dryers will break down or start to develop "personality" after about five years of heavy use.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
sputtering, rusted, Soviet-era hulk

That's an interesting commentary on the technology of consumer appliances. I'll remember that. Thanks.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a whirlpool side loading washer/dryer: it is like opium.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reinforcing that, front loaders FTW. The mechanics are straightforward. Instead of the clothes getting wrapped around one another and the spindle, they just continuously fall. Far more efficient as well.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka