• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't know much about...

southerncollegeboy

Reaction score
I always see Jack Victor ads in GQ, but I never seem to hear about them anywhere else. What's the deal?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You also see Perry Ellis ads in GQ. Bad suits, pants are of decent quality but seem to be overpriced, even at discount.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I went to Saks and they had a ton of Jack Victor stuff, which made me think that it was the Saks house brand.

djkovner

Reaction score
No, no, not Saks' house brand. I think someone mentioned in this forum a few months ago that it's a Canadian brand. Macy's has shitloads of them.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is Canadian, from what I understand. I bought a Jack Victor cashmere jacket a while ago at Filene's Basement. I never wear it, so it was kind of a mistake.

In any case, I think their ads look good. Reality, I'm not so sure.

tlfurbay

Reaction score
Jack Victor, Tallia, and Arnold Brandt are all close competitors delivering a similar garment.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The difference is that Arnold Brandt uses superior fabrics -- a lot of high grade Loro Piana stuff in their suits and pants. I picked up a fall/winter weight AB suit several months ago for $100. I don't think it will get a ton of wear -- maybe once every 2 weeks -- because it is fused and unvented, which makes is the lonely child in my closet as of now, but the purchase was worth it for the pants alone, which are great.

november

Reaction score
they must be making most of their sells in the US because I live in Montreal and i have never noticed that brand before
seeing the ads in GQ.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
november, where do you shop? I have spent a lot of time and money on Peel St. Is there a better place to go?

november

Reaction score
Most of the finest men's shops are locted on Peel St.
I recently passed by one that seemed interesting
on Laurier St. in Outremont. There are of course
many smaller stores nestled deep in anonymous buildings
and big dept. stores like Harry Rosen, Holt Renfrew and Giorgio. There a re a few stores selling more youthful
cut suits like Thierry Mugler,J Lindberg,etc... like Mens
on Ste-Catherine, west of Peel.

Personally, I am not in a field where I need to wear suits.
I am an engineer and i am so far satisfied wearing
low-priced clothes and some trift shop pieces I find
when I actually have the time to search for them.
Montrealers are the sharpest dressers in Canada and
they go through more clothes than avg. Therefore, there
are some good finds many times.

I am still in transition from streetwear to a more corporate look. I might get some bespoke shirts when this chinese
shirtmaker comes to town this Fall though...

JohnG

Reaction score
Jack Victor is a subsidiary of Hart Marx ( Hart Schaffner and Marx- Hickey Freeman etc)- the Canadian branch so to speak.

J.V. has two lines ( that I know of). There is the standard line of apparell you see in many mid to upper end retail stores and then ( or there used to be, 2 years ago ) there is the black label line.

I may be wrong on the name of the upper line. I purchased some of the Black Label ( ?) pant at a combined trunk show a couple years back. Hickey- H.S.M. trunk show. No idea where one purchases the upper end line(s) otherwise.

Respectfully,
John

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a sport jacket I picked up on sale last year up in northern Ontario. Decent quality but nothing to be amazed by. It is a good looking jacket though and for off the rack it fits pretty well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads