• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Don't know if I am a L or a R

vdrudy

Reaction score
Just walked into Brooks Brothers to pick out a suit or two to buy tomorrow during their corporate discount window. I own one other BB suit that fits me like a garbage bag. It's a 42L and it's an older, fuller cut. I hate wearing it because I feel like I'm wearing a cloak and I'm pretty sure I could fit 2 of me into the pants.

I am 6 feet tall, 41 chest with a 32-33 inch waist. Here is a picture of me trying on a 41R Fitzgerald @ BB. I realize the arms are way too short, but the salesman measured and said there would be enough fabric to let them out. I'm mainly concerned about the length of the jacket. What do you guys think - is it too short? I'm buying this suit to wear for the next 10-15 years in mainly an office setting. I'll be getting it in Navy or Charcoal.

The salesguy was adamant about me getting a L. I respect his opinion, but I felt like the L was just a bit too long. He also admitted that he's more traditional and that he understands there is a short jacket trend going on right now. He made it seem like I was foolish for even considering this jacket. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that, when measured from the base of the collar, that the jacket should be long enough to roughly split you in half. So if the total distance from the base of the collar to the floor is 60 inches, the jacket should come down about 30 inches from the base of the collar. Ask the sales person to measure you this way with the jacket on, and see where you end up.

You probably have an inch lee-way in either direction, but going longer than 50/50 is going to give you an older-fashioned look (probably not what you are going for based on your comments), and going a little shorter will give you a more modern look. If you like the look of the regular and are within an inch of the 50/50 split, you are probably fine, without being too trendy.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expecting to make a suit last for 10-15 years is a nonsense.

This coat is far too short and the sleeves also. It will certainly look hideous within two years when lengths have returned to sensible levels.

Last edited:

Geezer

Reaction score
You are unfortunate enough to be in the grey area where an "R" meets an "L".

But - it is a bit too short. Go for the L. Trust both the salesthing and this forum.

(If you want a suit to last 10-15 years, this, or anything else near its price point, isn't it. A very heavy (15/16oz) worsted of superlative (probably bespoke) construction, regularly maintained and probably at least once relined and recut to meet any changes in body shape, worn at most once a fortnight, and reasonably well cared for, could do it. Some of mine have, though a couple are really on their last legs now.)

vdrudy

Reaction score
Alright I will head back tomorrow and get the L. Thanks for the advice. I understand 10-15 years is a bit outrageous, I just meant to imply that I want a classic suit that's not going to go out of style. I'll post a picture of the long for feedback.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 49 16.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 105 34.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 91 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%