1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Go to Grad School

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Manton, Jul 26, 2011.

1. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Also not considered the most rigorous academically.

2. scientific

scientific Senior member

^just curious which do you think is the most rigorous?

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

There was one school I was reading about in California, all-male, I think 2 year only where in addition to something like 20 credit hours a semester they also had to work the ranch full time too and study full time. Something like that. Anyway, article said it was the most rigorous. Also, I'd put something like St. John's up there where all you are doing is reading the classics. that seems like it would be really difficult to successfully do.

4. Jenaimarr

Jenaimarr Senior member

Deep Springs College?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Springs_College

1 person likes this.
  5. cam

cam Member

Rigor is a small factor in prestige.

6. accordion

accordion Senior member

so...has anything changed?

1 person likes this.
  7. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Yeah, everything's gotten even more fucked for the humanities in the last five years.

8. accordion

accordion Senior member

Have the baby boomers not retired? More fucked as in beyond less jobs and more PHDs?

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

You got that sweet sweet tenure all locked up already?

The whole "wait for the Boomers to retire" thing have been going on for 20 odd years now. Universities are largely getting rid of tenured research positions, especially in the humanities. It's rough even in STEM.

And there are an absolute shit ton of applicants. People keep getting PhD's, even knowing the job market sucks. People are bad at applying statistics to themselves, apparently.

10. erictheobscure

:nodding:

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My gutless weasel admin took a pass on everyone that was up this year, citing the election. I got bumped back onto the carousel for another two years, which is uhhhh....nervous, given the climate. And especially considering I do a decent amount of work about climate.

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

And, of all things, I am thinking of finding a place where I can push beyond my master's thesis. [Graduation next week---yay!]

Given, however, that the good US programs are (a) paranoid about rankings (I.e., how many young bodies they can shove into academia), (b) jealous about how they dole out a finite number of scholarships, and (c) insistent on the need to get yet another master's degree before seven years of indentured servitude, I'll probably be aiming for someplace in the U.K. Not so comprehensive a training regime, to be sure, but a lower opportunity cost when the short program[me] duration is weighed vs the fee schedule. Since I am almost certainly too old to be interesting to tenure-track committees, these are options I will have to live with.

13. accordion

accordion Senior member

Would it make a difference if the candidate knows a second language and can apply for more jobs overseas? Does the area of focus matter? Something "hot" vs. something more specialized? And what would be a realistic cutoff in terms of ranking for deciding if it's worth it? Top 15-20 worldwide? Assuming Classics or Philosophy.

Are creative writing MFAs less of a scam if they're funded?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  14. erictheobscure

Good luck man.

Are you asking for yourself or just out of curiosity? Because if you're asking for yourself, I'll just be blunt about it: you don't have a field (classics or philosophy or creative writing) and you're asking some basic questions on a men's fashion forum. If you're concerned at all about actually having employment some day, grad school isn't really for exploring or dabbling in a field. You already have to be prepared to specialized to know what you're doing as you start.

FWIW, MFAs aren't a scam if they're funded. They're often funded fairly well. You'll just be scrapping to make a living afterwards. And tenure-track jobs are really rare for MFAs unless you've already made a name for yourself. Yeah, there are jobs overseas; they range widely in desirability.

15. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

I am grad school studying humanities. The degree adds nicely to my STEM background and I have taken no debt to pay for it. Thus, I do not necessarily agree with the OP's headline, but I see a fraction of truth in the statement that started this thread.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

You probably need to graduate and get a job before deciding whether it was a good idea or not.

17. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

I've been out of school for quite a while. Honestly, my policy is to refresh education on an on-going basis. I might as well get a paper that says "I have done it."

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  18. manonwire

manonwire Member

19. troika

troika Senior member

As someone currently applying to grad schools, this thread is thoroughly disheartening

20. erictheobscure

As someone who is applying to grad school, you should stop using dangling modifiers.