1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Don't Go to Grad School

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Manton, Jul 26, 2011.

1. amathew

amathew Distinguished Member

What is your end goal? PhD in statistics? Work as a "data scientist"?
    What does your coursework look like? Typical stats MS stuff (linear model, glm's, categorical data analysis, etc) or is it more applied. Have any of your classes really dug into endogeneity or omitted variable bias? I've always found it odd have stats has downplayed endogeneity is coursework. Maybe it's assumed that people would pursue jobs in the realm of experiments and clinical trials.

I recently interviewed for a Sr Data Scientist position and the interviewee was this really smart PhD from MIT. He had the same specialty and intellectual interests that I had, and it seems a PhD is the only way to go unless you can get one of those "causal inference" jobs at Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc, which is very difficult as those teams tend to be pretty small and require skills that only PhD's have. Made me want to pursue a PhD even more.

2. conceptionist

conceptionist Distinguished Member

My uni has separate departments for statistics and mathematical statistics. My degree will be from the former but I can take classes from math stats if I have the pre-reqs. The departments mostly differ in applications (stats: business, econ, social science and applications, math stats: engineering, natural sciences, and theory).

I have taken inference, probability, econometrics, and time series. Planning to take bayesian, experimental design, glm, machine learning, data mining, multivariate analysis, statistical computing, and perhaps survey sampling, modern non-parametrics, and MCMC-methods. There's also spatial statistics, markov chains, stochastic processes, etc... Almost all classes are in R. There's many options and I'm pretty free to take what I want. The econ department has some interesting grad level courses such as microeconometrics and game theory, but I'm not sure whether their value warrant not taking a statistics class instead.

My goal is to work as some kind of researcher or analyst within digital, market research, a strategy firm, or perhaps academia. I'm mostly interested in consumer behavior, quantitative marketing and some aspects of microeconomics/IO. I currently work with one of the stats professors at a large market research company and he has advised me to go for a phd, but it is quite competitive here.

At my former work place (digital ad agency) there were a few data scientist with backgrounds in computer engineering, physics, ML, but their work seemed to focus more on the CS side (eg. building products) than typical statistics. While a lot of opportunities seems to be within digital and that kind of work, I'm not that interested in it and I'm not sure it would go well with my background.

3. amathew

amathew Distinguished Member

Thanks...sounds like a fun course load.

I was an econometrician at an advertising for a couple years. It was fun and I got to work on interesting time series regression problems. Stuff like marketing response and media mix.

Yeah, a lot of data science jobs are product oriented and technically demanding. They do pay REALLY well though, which is kinda why I ended up as a data scientist

Last edited: May 9, 2017

4. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Lot's of research work in UX research too (my future industry)

5. TheBatman

TheBatman Well-Known Member

I work in education and this is absolutely true. We want to believe it's "the system's" fault because it is easier to stomach that idea than confronting what the data has been screaming for many decades now: populations are different. Innate characteristics cannot be changed.

This does not mean that environment plays no role in development, but it is far less than we ever imagined.

No reputable academic will refute this, though they will also certainly not openly acknowledge the fact either.

Too much money is made pretending we can raise iq's and that anyone can be a nuclear physicist if they only have the right preschool teacher.

6. kasper007

kasper007 Senior Member

Came across this blog post (I have a Ph.D. and I am on Welfare) today as Pocket weirdly recommended it to me.
    I know that you shouldn't take any amusement out of people's misery, but the comments are priceless!!!!

7. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Recently graduated, very happy and fulfilled Hoping to land a nice big boy job soon

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Graduate School Can Have Terrible Effects on People's Mental Health
    Ph.D. candidates suffer from anxiety, depression, and suicidal ideation at astonishingly high rates.