1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Go to Grad School

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Manton, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Not all grad programs are the same, but ask me again in a year and a half.

2. amathew

amathew Senior member

I've always wanted to go back and pursue my PhD in statistics or biostatistics so that I can do research on causal discovery algorithms and semi parametric estimation of time series data. The two things holding me back is that I'm 31 years old (too old?) and already have a pretty good job in the private sector as a data scientist (huge opportunity cost)

Anyone who's gone back in their "later stages" of life, what's been your experience? Do you regret the decision?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. troika

troika Senior member

Irrelevant to my area of study

Apps are done, gotta make a decision now - how did you decide which one is worth it for you?

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm 20 years older than you. Check back in 4 years.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Unless you really dislike your current career or just have an overwhelming passion for research, I'd strongly consider just reading books and taking some classes on the side. It's a lot easier to navigate into a new career while you're working than to blow it up and try again.

Getting into research is pretty rough, and a bit of a crapshoot. I can't speak for the field you're looking at, but most fields have 20% or lower rates of PhD graduates getting tenured positions. And that's for people who graduate. You're talking 5-10 years of 70-80 hour weeks to get there, at shit pay for most of it. As you say, the opportunity costs are quite high and for a low probability of payoff. Even there, the research lifestyle is weird and many people don't enjoy it as much as they think they would.

There's also the non-trivial fact that most top tier programs are suspicious of people coming back to school. They want young idealistic strivers who will work long hours for shit pay and not complain or be too pushy about asserting themselves and their ideas. You can find groups that are interested in well-seasoned professionals coming back, but it's harder.

6. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

These are all lies. Graduate school is fucking amazing. But then we're sworn to lie to discourage people from getting in on the action.

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

It's like any other important decision. Many angles, difficult to find balance, etc.

I just found something that fit me really well, from academic opportunities to people and support/perks. No regrets. Best decision no matter what happens.

I've done this around the same age as you. Almost done. No regrets

But again, ask me in a bit over a year.

Again, as you've mentioned, not all programs/fields are the same. There are still areas out there where things work differently.

8. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I’ve been strongly considering going back to grad school for a master’s degree in International Relations. And I applied to some programs a few months ago.
    One of the programs that I got into was the LSE’s IR program. However, I am very conflicted about whether to go or not.

From my own opinions reasons to go include, include the fact that it’s a prestigious program and only a year long, I feel ready to go back and I have a clear idea of how I would use an IR grad degree, tuition wise it’s cheaper than a lot of the programs I got into based stateside. Return on investment seems high in the long-run Plus, I am approaching my late 20’s and might not have the flexibility education wise say 4-5 years from now. I also feel like my career has stalled on my end.

I’ve talked to a couple of financial advisors and they think what I’m proposing is modest At least when it comes to any student debt.

However, I do have my doubts. Namely the costs, central London in an incredibly expensive place be on a day to day basis. Plus, getting to and from the United States adds up as well. Many I have talked to in academia have talked about the “opportunity cost” of being in grad school (even if one is planning on going back into the workforce after obtaining a degree). Also, would I be better off skill wise by obtaining a master’s degree in IR? (even if it is from the LSE) and whether it would be just be better to try to find a new job in the long run.

I’d def like to hear some opinions in this thread on this.

Thank you in Advance!

9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

If you're fairly confident about these points, I don't see why you wouldn't go. But then again, I fucking love London.

(I should add that, although I know nothing specific about LSE, M.A. programs are very often disappointing and coursework can in the UK can also be disappointing for those not used to their way of doing things. Which is to say, if I thought I knew what I'd do with that particular degree, I'd go for the prestige of the school and for a year in London. If the program actually turns out to be great, that would just be a big bonus.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  10. Contango

Contango Senior member

Considering the original poster in this thread, you shouldn't do it if you want to work in the White House apparently.

FlyingMonkey likes this.
  11. troika

troika Senior member

Gonna start me some grad school in August. Let's see how this goes...