• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't believe he hype...

samblau

Reaction score
Times are tough. I am out of work. I am highly educated and I believe my degrees are not only worthtless but counter productive. I saved some money while working for many years and rather than being depressed I am trying to enjoy the next few months (while applying for jobs) and hoping that things do not get incredibly tight.

At any rate, I decided this week to try a few places I have never been too., namely the famed Milk & Honey and the King Cole Bar in the St. Regis hotel. I cannot believe what a rip the St. Regis was. $20 each for mediocre at best drinks served in a commercial atmosphere. The famed "Red Snapper" the basis for the modern Bloody Mary was of poor quality...the diner I go to includes a complimentary Bloody that is better with their $12 Sunday Brunch. The "Red Snapper" was $18 on its own. As for Milk & Honey, its exclusive and the drinks are quite nice...but after waiting so long, I cannot say it was "all that". The first drink I had was a variation on a Pimms Cup, it was excellent but the next two were uninspired. I wanted a grapefruit based drink and got a typical fruity concoction followed by a stiff drink, an "American Trilogy", that was strong and good, but not something I needed to go to the supposedly best bar in NYC for. To make matters worse, it seemed as though the two other tables (their are only 3 in the whole place) were full of the same typical DB's as every other trendy spot in the city. At $15 a drink their prices were in line with the upper-tier places, and quite frankly for this one experience it was fine. That said, I think I will save my money and simply go to Whole Foods beer section downtown. For the same price as one night out I can get ridiculously awesome beer for two weeks.

samblau

Reaction score
Nah, didnt suck...just the fact that the prices are so ridiculous you expect the best, or at least not mediocre. I mean, $20 per drink + tax and tip. 2 drinks can be $45 - $50!!! I know places in Manhattan where you can get an awesome dinner and a few drinks for that. On Wed I had a burger, an Ommegang and a Six Point for about $30, and it was great! Just not trendy/famous. It was just to cross them off the list. Pegu club, where drinks are $12 has never disappointed me. Even the Modern, where drinks were $$$, was much better, quality and service wise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads