• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't be hatin' Be participatin'

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm giving you 2 outta 2 here . Not only are these bals black
devil.gif
, but they are by Bally
musicboohoo[1].gif
Goodyear welted, french calf Adrem model from Scribe line retailing for $695
Realizing this place is no Bally fan hangout, I still want to ask: Are they worth putting money in during 1/2 off sale ? My local store has'em, and the sale is around the corner.

P.S. Their build approaches the tank-like quality of Aldens.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
1/2 off sale off of scribes is not bad. 700 divided by 2 gives 350 plus sales tax will amount to close to 400 dollars.

but still that is 400 big ones. almost half grand.

unless you really need these shoes or are really attracted to bally scribes, there are deals to be had on scribes,
if you are more patient throughout the year,
you will find out scribes turning out at marshalls and thus ebay brand new in box just like those above for 79 dollars or less than 200 dollars.

then you will have another 200 dollars for something else!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they are simply approaching Aldens, then why not get the Aldens? Aldens calf is in the $300's so you don't ned to wait for a sale. You can get Alden cordovans for less than the retail of those. I am not a fan of these big gunboat shoes but those Bally's are particularly ugly. So, sorry, I can't appreciate, I must hate.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at $400, i'm a hater.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
at $400, i'm a hater.
hate to say it, but I gotta agree. I have a pair of Bally suede brogues and I don't think I've ever worn them. I'm not impressed, and I kind of want my money back.
musicboohoo[1].gif
Good looking shoes, and I'm sure they're fine, but that's C&J Handgrade/Stuart's Choice on sale territory.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, talk about inflated expectations So I placed another call to Bally - and this new floor grul, whose accent was easier to penetrate, informed me that Scribe line wouldn't be marked down any time soon. Only specific models ( me think the glue-n-plastic shi'ite ) are now @ 40% off.
BTW had the Scribes been on sale (completely masturbatory exercise, I know
musicboohoo[1].gif
), my drive-off cost would've been under $357.
Glad somebody brought up PS Grensons, as I pretty much blanked out on those And here are Alden wingtips which retail for $349.

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Forget about the Ballys, and go for the Aldens. To paraphrase Shakespeare, "get thee to The Tannery"

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it mildly humorous that in the home state of Alden our only source for these shoes remains Tannery with its 5-6 model selection. One can't help but wonder -

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
I find it mildly humorous that in the home state of Alden our only source for these shoes remains Tannery with its 5-6 model selection. One can't help but wonder -

I think it sucks too. You know that Germans and Japs pay EG prices for em overseas?

They do have Alden at BB though, for more money. I wish Louis would pick em up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads