• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donegal Wool French Work Jacket Pre-Order Project

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm typically on the SW&D side, but we've got a project going that you might be into. A few weeks ago, we released our "Doyle" jacket.. a slimmed down and modern take on the traditional French Work jacket. I'm making them in Los Angeles at a factory that does the cleanest stitching in the state of California.

The production jackets were made in cotton duck canvas, but I also ran two samples in Donegal wool blends. And the results were fantastic! It's a cool piece that's more casual than a sportcoat, but more functional than a shaket. They look great dressed up or down, and they're going to match wonderfully with Fall shirts and trousers. And since we're doing this as a preorder (ending on 8/3), the pricing is really sharp. Check out the fabrics below and click here to read more about it

Woolrich "Loden Woods" 14oz 85% Wool, 15% Nylon
Price: $285

Green Tweed Doyle Patch.jpg
Green Tweed Doyle Cuff.jpg

Golden Graham: 12oz 55% Wool 45% Polyester
Price: $265 Don't let the poly mix put you off: the hand on this is great it drapes like a pure wool. Will stand up to a ton of wear as well.

Golden Tweed Doyle Patch.jpg
Golden Tweed Doyle Cuff.jpg

We've got this product live until Thursday 8/3, and feel free to ask me any questions here if you're interested. The sizing on this item is pretty easy, and most guys are ordering their typical coat size. Since these are being made right here in LA, we'll get a very fast turnaround on them. I'll be able to deliver them right at the start of the season.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Donegal wool" but only "wool rich" is misleading and not the mark of a reputable company.

A cocktail with nylon in it does not inspire any confidence whatever.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"Donegal wool" but only "wool rich" is misleading and not the mark of a reputable company. A cocktail with nylon in it does not inspire any confidence whatever.

@GBR

"Wool rich" is in reference to Woolrich Woolen Mills in Pennsylvania. That's the source for the Loden Woods Donegal. They're quite reputable, they've been doing this since 1830.

Regarding the blended fabric, I know that's not everyone's bag, but I have no issues with the Wool/Poly Golden Graham donegal. It drapes like a pure wool but it's very soft and comfortable. It will stand up to a lot of wear and use. $265 is a great price for a US-made jacket in a fabric like this, and it's possible because this is cheaper than a pure wool. However, I'm actively sourcing some 100% wools to use down the road, which will speak more to our sportcoat customers and carry a small price premium over the blend.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking jackets. I'm a huge fan of a little nylon woven into wool. Makes garments wear like iron and feel just as comfortable as 100% wool so long as the percentage of synthetic is kept on the low side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads