• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donegal recommendation for suit

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Just one of those things "not done" that's been in my head since I started thinking about clothes. They are jacket or suit patterns, not odd trouser patterns.

I think you may be wrong there. Tweed for casual trousers used to be extremely common, definitely "done". I used to wear tweed pants when I was a kid. I have also seen many tweed trousers at Paul Stuart over the years.

M. Charles

Reaction score
Funny this thread should pop up again. I'm going to Donegal in November to see the tweed mecca firsthand, and hopefully purchase lots of cloth.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I think that one never really caught on.

It might just be a Mantonian meme.

No, I think no blue pants is
foo.gif
's cheval de bataille.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am certain I did not make up the no blue pants rule. Or, to be more precise, the rule is no blue odd trousers worn with a tailored jacket. This was known and adhered to by everyone I knew growing up. Friends, family, clothing salesmen, you name it. I doubt we all made it up. Even travelling, I never saw blue pants worn with sportcoats.

Come to think of it, I never saw tweed pants either.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Charles
So what..you grew up in San Francisco, no? And you're middle aged.

Yeah.
sarcasm.gif

Anyway, I've always said people should wear what they want. If the worst thing that happens to you is that I think you look bad, you will have had a good day.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was definitely told that blue pants were a no-no growing up. It stuck. Not so for tweed pants.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't tweed pants a little restrictive in terms of coat? They pretty much demand a solid coat, which leaves the stars of your wardrobe hanging in your ... wardrobe.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here comes another meme... the no solid sport coat one.. In 10 posts we'll have described the perfect SF groupthink set of rules
laugh.gif

Anyhow...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
And here comes another meme... the no solid sport coat one.. In 10 posts we'll have described the perfect SF groupthink set of rules
laugh.gif

Anyhow...

Who says this?
confused.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who says this?
confused.gif

It's a common meme in MC. You've never seen the argument?
confused.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It's a common meme in MC. You've never seen the argument?
confused.gif

I've seen the meme in favor of louder patterns rather that quieter ones, but never "no solids."

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Woooo wee. That is kinda sick.

Now I'm debating whether I should be getting a flannel blazer or a donegal one in the 62016....

Oh hi - back to me for a minute - does anyone have the 62016 made up?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought Air Force blue tropical wool trousers from Ed. I wear them with a grey checked sportcoat. Should I burn the pants?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tweed pants?

Patterns for pants are tricky. Loud plaids are pretty much the only ones that work for me.

I agree with this. I have a hard time pairing even some glen plaid flannel odd trousers with anything. I passed on the Panta donegals because I truly didn't think I could pair them with anything but a sweater. I'd wear solid tweed trousers though - I used to have an olive pair that were great but too warm for Californy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads