1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Donating clothes in DC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RJman, Feb 28, 2005.

1. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm thinking of donating some clothes in DC and wanted to ask any DC forumers for a little advice. Is there a place to donate to get a tax-deduction receipt? How much is one supposed to state as the value of the garments donated -- is it a guesstimate of depreciation or a Willie Brown-style full-price quote?

Thanks in advance. I have before donated some stuff in some of the collection bins in the area but thought I'd check in here.

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

My wife and I use Value Village. I don't have any idea what they are or do; I just know that twice a year they call us to say they're going to be doing pick-ups in our neighborhood in the following week and ask whether we'll have anything. We put out the stuff in a bag on our front porch and they pick it up, leaving a receipt in the mail slot. (The receipt is always blank, for us to fill in.) The best part about it is how easy it is -- I don't have to take the clothes anywhere.

For value, I've always followed the tax return rule of "thrift shop value." When the value of the non-cash donation is more than a set amount -- $600 I think -- you have to include with your 1040 another form (a 2106 IIRC). On that you have to state what the basis is for your valuation, and I was counseled many years ago that the basis to include on that line is "thrift shop value."

I always value things donated based on what I think they're worth -- depreciated value, not on what some clueless thrift shop store clerk thinks my outgrown Turnbull shirt is worth. Thinking about it, I suppose a good measure might be what you could sell it for on EBay (on a good day, of course). So, for a Brooks Brothers dress shirt in perfect condition for which I paid $70, I may list having a value of $20 or $25. A Zegna suit that is still in good condition but getting a bit weary I may value at $150. $200 if it's in particularly good condition.

There's also a huge Goodwill drop-off location off of Route 50 in Virginia (Arlington perhaps?). I've taken all kinds of furniture, books, etc. there. They accept anything that isn't clearly junk. They will give you a receipt too.

3. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored