Donald Fagen

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

One of the hardest-grooving cats in history. Have you guys given his new LP a listen (Morph the Cat)? It doesn't measure up to "Kamakiriad" or "The Nightfly," but it's fuckin' great.

FWIW, I think Teahouse on the Tracks (from "Kamakiriad") is one of the best songs ever written.

2. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

This might be one of those threads that you start in which I am the only one who replies.

Donald Fagen rules. Maxine from "The Nightfly" sounds like something you'd write while reading your high school yearbook a few years on: a blithe love tune wrapped in faux world weariness.

At least, that's how I saw it when I first heard it in 7th grade.

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I used to know the lyrics to The Goodbye Look and The New Frontier by heart - I listened to that, and read Graham Greene's The Comedians and Our Man in Havana at the same time in high school.

4. andyw

andyw Senior member

Great to read others are into Donald Fagen........I'm a fan as well and always scour for any new music with Donald's input.

In case you have not happened onto it, Donald and Walter Becker appear on a Marian McPartland Piano Jazz Radio Broadcast and play some of their old tunes like Josie and Chain Lightning, as well as jazz standards such as Mood Indigo and Star Eyes. The playing is in a more intimate setting and with small group instrumentation. You know how Steely Dan hated to perform live, well this recording brings out some of the warmth (if that is even the right word for his reedy voice) in Fagen's voice and something different to the songs. There's also some banter that provides some insight into their background. I forgot where I downloaded the MP3 but definitely well worth reseraching........try iTunes.

Glad to hear from others on lesser known music from Donald Fagen.

5. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

The Nightfly would probably make the cut for my Desert Island Disc list.

6. jeansandtshirt

jeansandtshirt Senior member

I used to know the lyrics to ... The New Frontier by heart -

In case anyone hasn't seen it, they should check the video out on youtube.

I haven't listened to Morph the Cat yet, one of these days I'll check it out. I have practically worn out his first two albums, on cd lol.

A couple of months back, I was watching the one hour show on Aja on VH1 Classic. If you want a good laugh, get on napster and check out Peter Gunz' (sp) "Uptown Baby" lol.

Now that I have about 10 Steely Dan songs in my head at once now, I'm hitting reply. [​IMG]

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Big Fagen fan here. The whole Nightfly trilogy is a masterpiece imho as are many Steely Dan albums.

8. Connemara

For some awesome Dan, go to Traders' Den and download some of their 2006/2007 tour torrents. Amazing stuff.

The thought of Walter Becker singing "Haitian Divorce" sounded frightening at first, but seeing it live was amazing. It made the song a lot more sensual.

9. Connemara

In a recent interview, Fagen hinted at a new Steely Dan album in the works but practically confirmed a new solo disc. I sure as hell hope so. [​IMG]

10. Connemara

I'm really struck by the drums on "Florida Room" off of Kamakiriad. In the first few bars, you think they'll be really invasive....but Fagen makes 'em blend. A testament to his brilliance I guess.

11. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Conne -

You're not putting on a clear plastic raincoat and jumping around with an axe between posts in threads like this are you?

[​IMG]

12. Connemara

I suppose we will never know my freind. [​IMG]

13. Connemara

While I am on the Fagen rampage, it should be said that "Mary Shut the Garden Door" and "The Night Belongs to Mona" off of his latest disc (Morph the Cat) are among the best.

14. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

"Is there gas in the car? Yes there's gas in the car."

Steely Dan = Best Band Ever.

15. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

"I think the people down the hall know who you ARE!"

Have you guys heard the live CD Steely Dan put out in 95 or 96? It's nice.