• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Domain Names

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many people here have domain names? I have some but most of what I bought were brandables, not one or two word combinations though I lucked into a short dictionary word or two along the way. One of my brandables actually ended up being a foreign word for a European capital and I have had more offers on this single domain than any other.

I have been offered $7,000 once and $2,000 numerous times and just last month $6,000. I do not think this is enough to give up a good domain for since it is just so hard to replace.

Another I have is troubling because I purchased the .com and the .net is now a Japanese store. They have never contacted me for the .com and I have never contacted them but I would be wary of developing it into some kind of clothing site.

Anyone else? Even if you are currently using it for a business and think you got a good name for branding and business use. I am just interested to know how important people think they are.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're actually going to use it for something, then keep it. If you're not, sell it. Sounds pretty basic...I don't have a lot of domains personally...I have a few of them, none of them are really sellable since they are hard to pass off unless its a common word.

I know people who sat on them too long, then forgot about them...then they expired and got grabbed.

sometimes I would register a domain that could be used for publicity...for example, when Ron Artest got suspended a few seasons ago, I registered FreeArtest.com. I got a few offers, a few requests for media interviews, etc...but I just kind of sat on it and nothing happened.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe there are some domain valuation websites out there...not super accurate.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I believe there are some domain valuation websites out there...not super accurate.
OH Yeah, I would never pay for an appraisal but there is a site that does it free:

http://estibot.com/

It is not accurate because something is only worth as much as someone will pay for it. There are a few domain appraisal scams and I would NEVER pay for an appraisal. EVER.

But I am not interested in selling, I am interested in peoples experiences and satisfaction and or dissatisfaction.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, of course a good domain is absolutely important. I have my own consulting website, I am happy with the domain name I selected. Its easy to remember and relevant...it took me about 2 weeks to figure one out....

I also have my firstnamelastname.com, which I absoultely love. I would never sell it for anything because its so useful as my personal email address. If I were able to get my last name only as a domain (its one of the top 75 most common names in the world though), I would bust a nut.

Regarding your .com/.net conundrum.....i wouldn't really worry about it unless you are doing business in Japan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads