• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Domain Name Rights

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I know it's dumb to ask legal questions on the internetz.

But anyways:

Our corporate domain name is less than ideal. It's long and confusing to people. It is ournamewhatwemake.com. I wish it were just ourname.com. Imagine if, I dunno, Callaway had to be callawaydrivers.com. It's not unworkable but it could be better, especially since our name is even a little more confusing than callaway. Spelling the whole thing out on the phone is painful.

The problem is that ourname.com is already owned by someone. He bought it and I suppose he's got some right to the name as it does correlate to his own name. But he hasn't put anything up there... for 10 years.

I've e-mailed the guy even offering money for the name and he has declined.

Do I have any rights at all here?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dont quote me but if you can prove your like bigger than they are, and have been around longer than they are, you can sieze the name. like if I got mcdonalds.com cause my familys name is mcdonalds I cant hold you up. Sort of like eminenet domain for internet names.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
I do not know the answer, but I can tell you there are definitely trademark arguments to be made. Look up some "cyber-squatting" information and maybe that will get you somewhere.

One domain I always found interesting was: www.nissan.com

Nope, its not the car manufacturer (thats www.nissandriven.com or www.nissanusa.com), but Nissan.com has been sued by the Nissan Motor Company and on www.Nissan.com they have some information about the lawsuits.

Maybe that will be a good starting point for you?

The only experience I have in this field was when a Candidate for US Congress I was working for had his domain name (LastNameforCongress.com) taken by a guy who is in the business of actually taking names (from Federal Election Commission filings) and selling them to campaigns for like $1,000 bucks. We took a different name and ultimately my candidate backed out of the race so I dont have much to tell you from that experience other than that some people are making a business of this so maybe that means the laws arent clear and/or make it hard to win in court?

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He hasn't put anything there? Does he have it redirected to another site? He could be using the domain name simply for his emails.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks lefty - that was sort of the way I had understood things, and unfortunately it doesn't look too good for me. blech.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you could try an empty threat. so basically message and say you're in the process of putting together a legal case to take the domain, you'd be willing to settle out of court for $X.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Archie Comics sent a cease-and-desist letter to a one-year-old girl named Veronica whose parents purchased veronica.org for her when she was born. I don't believe it went very far.

lefty

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reckon this isn't what you want to hear, but you could offer the guy more money. Noted venture capital investor Fred Wilson recently wrote about startups and domain names. "... Be prepared to pay up for a good domain. It is very unlikely that you'll find a great domain name these days for less than $10k. And it could cost a lot more." I gather that your company is probably not an internet startup, hence a catchy domain name isn't quite as essential. That said, if even Fred Wilson has to pay up, well...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads