• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dolce and Gabbana Shoes?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by travanx
I don't think I will be able to dress casual, because I mentioned how the dress here in Socal is and the boss mentioned wearing suits to work. Working with clients, going to meetings, etc. I also feel like people might take me more serious in my position if I dress the part.
cheers.gif

Definitely, but make sure you don't overdress (I would probably also hide the fact that you are wearing a pair of D&G shoes which you spent $650 on). I would like to think I am the best dressed employee in my office but since I am only 27, I often get puzzling looks from older co-workers, to the point where when asked about my clothes, I often devalue them. Manton's book has a good chapter on this.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by travanx
I wish they were on sale. I got them from nordstrom at full price. My price range at the time was around $500. Whats the difference with the corrected leather?

And I am buying as much as I can in the states before moving as I know everything in Oz is ridiculous pricing. I don't think I will be able to dress casual, because I mentioned how the dress here in Socal is and the boss mentioned wearing suits to work. Working with clients, going to meetings, etc. I also feel like people might take me more serious in my position if I dress the part.
cheers.gif

Well, I understand the urgency factor because you only have a few days in town. It's happened to all of us at one point or another in our travels. As long as you get good use out of them, and you're not losing sleep over the price tag, it's all good.

You can search corrected grain leather here to find more out about it. Basically it's lower quality leather that has a resin applied to it that makes it appear plastic-y. It's not as durable as regular leather, more susceptible to some kinds of damages (like cracking over time or getting irreparable deep scratches) but at the same time, it's less susceptible to other types of damages (like stains from spills, since the resin blocks the pores from absorbing anything.)

Again, I'm just guessing those shoes are made from corrected grain from the pics, but it could be the lighting, the camera, or just a very heavy coat of polish from the factory.

madison avenue

Reaction score
What a great shoe maybe you should not take my word for it because I am pro Itlaian style of dressing although I dont wear any D&G not my style (clothing wise) I am more of a milan style / napoli style type of guy but these shoes are great and I would not think twice about buying them. You got love from me for these!

strazzaque

Reaction score
You will find that a vast majority of suits worn are fused. Our high end retailers generally sell more fused suits than hand-tailored ones. This includes David Jones, though it does depend on which shop you visit. I personally have not experienced the problems some SFers complain about regarding fused suits, so I'm not against such suits. Our winter is mild compared to some parts of the US, and as I've never been to California, I don't know how it compares to your climate. Sydney winters normally stay between 18-20 degrees celsius. You'll find a converter to fahrenheit easily enough. Good luck acquiring your suits, and if you need advice on where to buy locally, I'm sure there are enough Sydneysiders here who can help, myself included. I'll be the budget-conscious shopper's friend.
bigstar[1].gif

travanx

Reaction score
Thanks. I think California and Sydney have about the exact same weather. Syndey might be humid and california more dry. That would be the difference from what I could feel. I wish I understood what exactly stands out with a better quality shoe or suit and for the length of time one owns these things. I am new to it, so the quality of certain things hasn't hit me just yet. Maybe a year from now when all my stuff is falling apart? haha.

kngrimm

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the last time I was in Nordstrom's and checked out their shoes... the DG/Gucci shoes looked like corrected grain leather. The creasing can start to look really bad with corrected grain, so please be careful...

You'll know when you try to polish em... you'll realize you aren't making any progress, sigh, and then place them in the back of the closet...

I could be wrong - and I hope I am - so good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads