• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doing it over, what would you do (or do different) your last year of university?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I gotta ask, how much do grades really matter?

Everyone's situation is going to be different. I had 30 interviews and something like 20 offers. I was asked my GPA twice (it was ~3) and walked out both times since there was an HR cutoff.

I was hot **** upon graduation but maybe I wouldn't be so much in this current economy.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Focus on your friends - its weird, its kinda like death. You know the end is coming and you'll be going different direction on May 5th. Sure, you'll hang out once a year or maybe live in the same town, but once you graduate most of your time is spent reminiscing on the college years.

2. Get laid as much as possible - dump a GF. See above, wont last. Bone as many girls as possible. I personally spent too much time getting fucked up with the boys and missed some easy, oblivious targets to getting some. No one dates in college, so hook up brother! The real world sucks for this stuff

3. Get a good internship or work - (I know this doesnt apply to the OP) No one has EVER asked for my gpa, but I have a good track record of working and it helped me get to where I am today, not starting from scratch.

4. Dont take yourself too serious - Its just school. I dont remember a damn thing from class...come to think of it, i dont remember much from the weekends either....but I know it was fun. So live it up.

Thats about it. Wish I could trade you places, son!

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I gotta ask, how much do grades really matter?

I'm entering into my second year at Uni, and the first year I completely slacked off. Absolutely no effort, and I did the minimum amount of work I could. Because of that I coasted through with a solid ~3.00 GPA, which with some work can be raised to something more acceptable.

I'm still in school so I'm not exactly about to go out and start asking for interviews for a while, so I guess the question is: How much effort should I be putting into my classes? I don't even know my major yet and it's hard to be passionate about a subject that I have no interest in and that might not even go towards my major. I'm not looking for an outright answer, but some personal experiences regarding it would be helpful.

Grades matter
Networking/Connections matter

better to do both and you wont' have to worry about getting a job like my peers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads