Does Zegna's Z line make ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DGP, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DGP

DGP Senior member

I have three Zegna ties that I got at the Barney's sale, and I can't tell if they are Zegna's mainline or Z line. On the underside of the tie, it says "Ermenegildo Zegna," overlayed on a huge Z. I know that the big Z in the background is the Z line's trademark, but on my Z suits, it just says "Zegna" over the Z, not the full name. So I can't tell, and I don't suppose I really care, but I'm just curious. I don't think it would matter, as the ties feel the same, and retail for similar prices (about $140), only difference to me seems to be that mine are slightly more modern patterns, with slightly more vibrant colors. Does anyone know more?

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I have three Zegna ties that I got at the Barney's sale, and I can't tell if they are Zegna's mainline or Z line. On the underside of the tie, it says "Ermenegildo Zegna," overlayed on a huge Z. I know that the big Z in the background is the Z line's trademark, but on my Z suits, it just says "Zegna" over the Z, not the full name. So I can't tell, and I don't suppose I really care, but I'm just curious. I don't think it would matter, as the ties feel the same, and retail for similar prices (about $140), only difference to me seems to be that mine are slightly more modern patterns, with slightly more vibrant colors. Does anyone know more?

They are mainline EZ ties. The Z ties do not say Ermenegildo and have the different label.

3. DGP

DGP Senior member

They are mainline EZ ties. The Z ties do not say Ermenegildo and have the different label.

Can I assume they retail for less, like $80ish? Also, does the Z line have shirts that might be slimmer and more modern?

4. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior member

The Z Line is better than the mainline....?

5. DGP

DGP Senior member

The Z Line is better than the mainline....?

No, Z is their lowest line, a little more trendy, trim fitting, etc. For example, a mainline suit will go for anywhere from about $1,800 and up. Way up. The Z suits top out at about $1,200. They are fused, and made in Mexico. Granted, I own two of them, they cost me $320 each at Saks sale, and I think they are awesome as lightweight work suits. Nice and modern, and a good price.

6. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Can I assume they retail for less, like $80ish? Also, does the Z line have shirts that might be slimmer and more modern?

Yes, Z ties retail for $80-$100 compared to $140+ for EZ. Their shirts are slimmer and "modern" (if you intend it to mean fashion-forward) but they I haven't seen any real dress shirts. Most Z shirts I have seen I would not wear with a tie.