• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your tailor charge you different prices for the same alteration based on brand?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither my tailor nor my drycleaner recognize ANY brands... they are brand-unaware to a fault. Sometimes I'll show them the label casually when I drop off my Kiton suit and point at the label Larry David-style -- kind of nodding my head with a smile on my face, saying "you know-- this is a Kiton here... yup... Kiton... so uh... you'll be extra careful, right....Kiton?" and they'll look at me like I'm from Mars. Might as well have handed them a Merona suit from Target - they are brand blind.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. If he did, I would find a new tailor. And my tailor is aware of what's a better brand, quality- and price-wise.

b

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Neither my tailor nor my drycleaner recognize ANY brands... they are brand-unaware to a fault. Sometimes I'll show them the label casually when I drop off my Kiton suit and point at the label Larry David-style -- kind of nodding my head with a smile on my face, saying "you know-- this is a Kiton here... yup... Kiton... so uh... you'll be extra careful, right....Kiton?" and they'll look at me like I'm from Mars. Might as well have handed them a Merona suit from Target - they are brand blind.

Ha...I had similar experience w/ a tailor on some PL and Sartorio stuff.

On the other hand, I ran into an overpriced (but undeniably good) cleaner that had no reservations about charging me $35 for my mall brand suit.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor knows the difference but does not charge different prices... I wouldn't go to him if that was the case.

However, one time I attempted to drop off an Etro suit that required heavy modifications and he told me to "get this fused crap outa here" in his broken english/italian accent.. I knew I had found the right guy.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They should. Some work takes longer to do because of layers of construction that you may not see from the outside. Take the sides in on an unlined jacket and you have to refinish all the seams inside. Plenty of tailors will cut the excess cloth out with pinking shears and leave raw edges especially when taking in the trouser waist and seat. If they don't charge extra for extras it may be they do not intend to do the work to original standards and will take their shortcuts thinking you would not know the difference. I would be more confident if the charge was adjusted for work that needed to be done properly and I would find a new tailor if he charged more just for the brand recognition. If the suit cost more, the work should cost more is not always so. Surprisingly some of the hardest clothes to work on are cheap fused suits.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my tailor is typically pretty expensive, but she charges based on the work, not based on the brand.

I think she's going a bit overboard these days, i brought in 4 shirts yesterday and she wanted to do $70 worth of alterations on each one.

I slowed her down a little, but i'm glad she's focusing on doing the absolute best job possible for me, even though i feel its a bit due to the fact that there is less work running through the shop.

The irony is, if the prices lightened up a bit, i'd probably spend alot more money with her.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
So this is just another question to have something to post about?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My tailor makes comments about different brands, but does not charge based on brand.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
They should. Some work takes longer to do because of layers of construction that you may not see from the outside...(snipped for brevity)

But that's an issue of construction and actual labor involved in the alteration--not the name on the tag. I think we'd all agree that a tailor can charge more for work that takes more time.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads