• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your style match your taste in music?

enarchay

Reaction score
Not really. I listen to music from many different genres, but some of my favorite bands/artists (Opeth, Ihsahn) fall into the broad category of extreme metal. I don't dress the way I perceive many "metalheads" to dress. On the other hand, I also listen to "art music" (Baroque, Classical, and contemporary composers like Arvo Part and Philip Glass, etc.).

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Listen to a lot of Japanese rock music, but also jazz, Bjork, some crappy American teen rock bands (e.g. MCR), Christina Aguilera.

I like the tracks Bjork did for Dancer in the Dark. Strangely, I never heard of her before that.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
Yep. I listen to country music and post-SF discovery I've been wearing white v necks, fit levis, and boots almost daily. Fits about perfect, lol.

wat

faustov

Reaction score
i like techno and don't like rockabilly at all
bounce2.gif

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I mostly listen to indie rock and a good amount of hipster/Pitchfork-type stuff, and I usually wear concert t-shirts or AA v-necks (outside of work). That, and the Neutral Milk Hotel tattoo on my forearm, probably makes my musical taste seem kind of obvious. I find it's easier for people to identify and categorize you when you're a walking clichÃ
00a9.png

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and no.

In high school, I used to listen to a lot of street punk and Oi, and that really affected they way I dressed. As I got into college, I 180'd to a more relaxed stoner bro-look as I listened to more reggae and Sublime style punk/reggae. I think this was my rock bottom, style and style wise. Luckily I started listening to more hardcore and punk. This also came with a renewed interest in style. Now I listen to hardcore, old pop-punk, and a good variety of all kinds of other music. When I'm at home and on the weekends, I wear slim or straight-leg denim, chucks or vans, a plain t-shirt or a plaid shirt. This probably reflects the music I listen to pretty accurately. However, when I'm at work, the OCBD and chinos doesn't necessarily mesh when I'm listening to Down to Nothing on my iPod.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear oxfords, chinos, denims, and bluchers. i feel compelled to listen to Vampire Weekend.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still have some glam rock songs in my ipod. you think I should dress appropriately?
ratt-poster.jpg

BriansAWildDowner

Reaction score
My musical tastes are all over the place, but mostly i like bands that combine other genres of music with punk. Reverend Horton Heat (rockabilly and punk), Flogging Molly (Irish folk music and punk) and my #1 favorite is The World/Inferno Friendship Society (soul, gospel, waltzes, klezmer, jazz and other stuff with punk). Another thing they all have in common is that they all tend to wear suits on stage. Or at least dress much better than your average punk band.

Anyway my style doesn't match that YET, but i'm slowly building up my wardrobe to more match my musical tastes.

I also like a lot of country and so I've also got a little bit of western wear and plan to get more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads