Does your style match your taste in music?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

some crappy American "scene" bands
    I haven't heard that term in ages...like, fall of troy, fear before, etc? The little seattle bizzy I lived next to my freshman year of college was really into that stuff. I always kinda liked fear before and portugal.the man! Not me, not at all. I listen mostly to metal and electro stuff, which would suggest a pretty dark vibe. Although I guess I'm heading that way these days, so maybe? Neat idea for a thread, although it seems like most people listen to too many kinds of music to be directly influenced by one genre or another.

2. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I listen to 90's rap and some rock. No musician has ever influenced my style really.

3. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

4. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Neat idea for a thread, although it seems like most people listen to too many kinds of music to be directly influenced by one genre or another.

this. are there really that many people who listen to just one genre anymore? I don't think anyone who is actually into music can claim that.

5. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

No idea, but from his shows it seems like something along the lines of hardcore metal/techno. I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for; punk, classic rock, hip hop, ect. Certainly not as dark as my clothes might suggest.
    I listen to hardcore metal/techno. And I'm an aspiring goth ninja.

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I wear suits and bump to Merzbow and Oval. So... yes?

Do you still want to buy my Yohji pants? I'll give em to you for 90 shipped. They will fit a true 30.

7. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

I'd say it does. I don't think I have a definite style or taste in music but I could imitate the styles of pretty much every genre I like using my wardrobe. I do it a lot when I go to shows. Also I use musician pictures for inspiration a fair bit.

8. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

I guess I've been told I look like a guitarist (which I am) but I wouldn't really say i dress like the music i listen to or play at all, especially since I don't jsut listen to one style of music.

9. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

Shouldn't both your taste in music and taste in clothes reflect your personality traits and life, therefore making them both at least somewhat compatible?

10. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

^^you tell me. I would imagine some hard electronic shit, but dont know. What does RO listen do?

I can only imagine him listening to Dubstep, with maybe an occasional Suicidal Tendencies song thrown in.

11. Mountains

Mountains Senior member

Maybe. I dunno. In both I probably tend a little bit towards punk.

12. Listi

Listi Senior member

My music taste is very scattered but leaning towards dark, heavy, and often avant-garde. I guess I usually dress fairly normally, but I like to wear drapey black clothes whenever I can. I would say that it matches about as well as I could hope for, if you thought I dress weird and maybe I listen to odd stuff, then you'd be right.
    I wear suits and bump to Merzbow and Oval. So... yes?
    I had heard of, but never listened to Oval. Just did it and glad I did [​IMG] good shit, thanks for unintentionally introducing me to it vv@e0d: Drake is pretty fun to listen to, but Shad is better.

13. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

Mine does, just because I don't listen to one genre or one area of music really. I just got Jammer's new album, and am DLing Rachmaninoff's piano concertos two and three. My other recent acquisitions are french rapper Grems - Broka Billy, and before that Genghis Tron - Board Up The House + BUTH remixes vol 1-5. That is to say, I just listen to whatever I want, and wear whatever I want. I am also the defender of all things mainstream, and love T-Pain, R Kelly, Drake, Justin Bieber etc.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

I listen to what people on SF would probably call hipster music and fairly heavy dubstep. My styles probably closer to hipster.

15. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

vv@e0d: Drake is pretty fun to listen to, but Shad is better.
    Yeah I really only like "shut it down" because I heard it on Seclusiasis radio, I couldn't name any of his other songs. ACTUALLY if you like Canadian rap, check out Langdon Auger, local rap from my hometown. Really really talented guy.