• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Does your perspective change on your wardrobe quite often?

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Hello all.

I tried on my suits this weekend and I had a totally different perspective
than I did when I first bought and altered them.

Before(6-8 months ago) when I got a good amount of them,
I felt the shoulders were fine and the tailoring was comfortable.

NOW....

I think the shoulders are way too padded, and the tailoring just isn't slim
enough.

Is this an affect of SF? Of style in general? Am I just seeing things w/
new eyes?

I used to REALLY like my suits. I saw a picture of me at a wedding in a
suit I had altered..and I HATE it now.

Way too puffy and not slender. The pants were too baggy and the blazer just made me look heavier than I am.

I attribute it to 50% of me being tubby, but the other is still the warddrobe.

I'm about to get them all re-altered again. Taking all the shoulders out for sure.
I have broad shoulders and don't need any padding if at all.

W/the padding as is..it looks as if I'm a linebacker....

Do you guys just go into the closet and have your tastes change so rapidly?

lithium180

Reaction score
This is probably just a natural extension of learning more about clothing. Your tastes are becoming more refined and that's a good thing. I am experiencing a similar process.

I think the only mistake is to think that there is some future end state where your wardrobe will be perfect and you'll never want to change it.

(Btw, Martinez, CA is my mom's hometown. She grew up just off E St and went to Alhambra High and I spent all my childhood summers there
)

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
This is probably just a natural extension of learning more about clothing. Your tastes are becoming more refined and that's a good thing. I am experiencing a similar process. I think the only mistake is to think that there is some future end state where your wardrobe will be perfect and you'll never want to change it. (Btw, Martinez, CA is my mom's hometown. She grew up just off E St and went to Alhambra High and I spent all my childhood summers there
)

Yeah, my concern is that I'll over tailor the suits..dunno if that's possible. I mean it's easier to slim down the suits from baggy..but it doesn't go back the other way. I mean, I really like the look of more exposed cuffs past the standard 1/4 inch or so..I'd like it to be a full inch..etc...but I don't want to go through the altering and then change my perspective and not be able to reverse the process. Don't want to "Michael Jackson" my suits...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Carmina

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 38 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 73 32.2%