• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your Dad dress well?

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
I came home for the holidays and I forgot how poorly my Dad dresses. To make matters worse, he took my brother shopping for an overcoat, and I tagged along as the voice of reason..Thankfully his "You'll grow into it" line at men's wearhouse
facepalm.gif
didnt work on my 23 y/o brother.

Does anyone have stylish or non-stylish parents?

thewallychamp

Reaction score
apparently i purchase things in womens sizes to him.

as he knows im shopping for my first real job for christmas i got a lovely candy stripe colored button down by Eminem's clothing company. it looks like rainbow sex drapes and i will wear it on my first day of work not.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
my dad doesnt dress well. at all. he thinks my interest in clothing and fashion is a waste of time and foolish. he thinks that me not having a child yet puts me in the immature category of married persons who just go living life on a whim doing nothing but fashion, eating out, having fun and nothing else. he won't get serious with me until i get my first child. oh well.
uh.. dad.. it is not all like that. ok.

doubleb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
my dad doesnt dress well. at all. he thinks my interest in clothing and fashion is a waste of time and foolish. he thinks that me not having a child yet puts me in the immature category of married persons who just go living life on a whim doing nothing but fashion, eating out, having fun and nothing else. he won't get serious with me until i get my first child. oh well. uh.. dad.. it is not all like that. ok.
+1

BossTweed

Reaction score
My dad wore his ski jacket so his oversized grey sports jacket peeked out 3". This was on top of corduroys, ski socks that were showing, and boat shoes. His look says both "clueless" and "don't give a ****"; both are true.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
He is a horrific dresser. He wears Hawaiian shirts at least five days of the week.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes. my dad is pretty pimpin, actually. i'm sure my step-mom has her hand in it, though.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pretty well, though color choice sometimes a bit too loud for my taste (but somehow all matches very well, just not the color I would choose). It helps that he is the boss, so he can wear non matching double breasted waist coat with peak lapel suit plus a double monk shoe.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My dad died 10 years ago, so I can't really speak of this in the present tense. He got pretty sloppy with his clothes when he stopped working regularly during the '90s. But before that, he was a pretty slick dresser. He had the whole business steeze thing going while he worked in advertising. And before that, he did a nice job of dressing the part of the liberal hippie.

Here's a picture of him from the mid-70s:

l_60e1e66428b4cccb8a941681732c0c74.jpg

Poomba

Reaction score
he usually just wears 501's and free t shirts, but his levi's have some of the best fades ive seen. His fades put mine to shame.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prior to retiring, I've always seen my father as nothing short of a stylishly dressed man. In a sense, I've contributed my style as an innate gift inherited from him. However, since retirement, his style choices have somewhat waned, yet it's still good to see him get dressed up for any event atleast requiring a suit.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember my dad having tassel loafers in the early 90s... already a decade late. I am not sure if he currently owns a suit. Maybe a gray sportcoat which he would likely wear with black slacks. It doesn't matter as he works in the energy business, in the field.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He dresses better than most, but it probably wouldn't pass muster with SF members.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
He dresses better than most, but it probably wouldn't pass muster with SF members.

This.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My dad has always dressed fairly well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads