Does your big toe wear out your shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Real estate, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Real estate

Real estate Active Member

My two big toes, more so my right than left, are begining to wear out my shoes. My toes, and most peoples, curve slightly up so this is starting to wear a hole in my shoes. My shoes fit properly, and they are not tight or anything, but as my heel hits the floor while I am walking my big toe rubs against the top of my shoe. This is begining to wear a hole in them. My nails are kept short and my toes are not freakishly curved or anything like that. What can I do to prevent this wear? I was thinking taping the sticky part of a band aid over this spot to prevent this wear. This has happened to a major degree on my other pair of shoes and are just starting to happen on my newer pair. FYI these are the type of shoes that should last 10+ years.

2. rioni

rioni Senior member

no, that does not happen to me

3. jmix1

jmix1 Senior member

It sounds like your shoes are too tight. This shouldn't be happening. Depending on the shoe, maybe try a last with a bit more room in the toe box.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

It sounds like your shoes are too tight. This shouldn't be happening. Depending on the shoe, maybe try a last with a bit more room in the toe box.
    I agree, a shoe with a bigger toe box may help prevent this.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Not since I cut my toenails very short to stop this happening.

7. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

bigger toe box or half a size longer?

8. unjung

unjung Senior member

Had my small toe wear through a pair of Bostonians... not sure if it was due to the (low) quality of the leather, the toe box, or both. Regardless, last pair of those I'll be buying.

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Buy larger shoes; there should be comfortably enough space for give under pressure.

10. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

My two big toes, more so my right than left, are begining to wear out my shoes. My toes, and most peoples, curve slightly up so this is starting to wear a hole in my shoes. My shoes fit properly, and they are not tight or anything, but as my heel hits the floor while I am walking my big toe rubs against the top of my shoe. This is begining to wear a hole in them. My nails are kept short and my toes are not freakishly curved or anything like that. What can I do to prevent this wear? I was thinking taping the sticky part of a band aid over this spot to prevent this wear. This has happened to a major degree on my other pair of shoes and are just starting to happen on my newer pair. FYI these are the type of shoes that should last 10+ years.

I have noticed it with a few pair of shoes I own, and only one to any serious degree. Since I base size on where the shoe fits at the widest part of my foot, I would not size up to solve the problem. I also get no discomfort in the toe box, so the idea that the toe box is too tight doesn't work. You might buy some adhesive moleskin (in the shoe supply section at the drugstore) and line the area of the toe box to take more of the wear. Better than the bandaid idea.

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Is there a Men's Clothing (MC) equivalent of the SW&D "Ask a Question/Get an Answer" thread? It seems like that might be a good addition, if not. I mean, is there REALLY a need for a whole thread about the effect of big toes on shoes?

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Perhaps you need to do as Jesus did:

[​IMG]

- B

13. Eagle

Eagle Senior member

While I have not experienced the type of excess wear described in the OP, I have noted that the first place I notice my shoes failing (generally after many years of use and several resolings) is the lining in the toe box, just where my little toes come in contact with the lining. It starts as cracking and eventually becomes a tear in the lining. Since they don't replace/repair linings, at that point, the shoes take that long, lonely, one way walk to the trash bin!

14. Real estate

Real estate Active Member

Is there a Men's Clothing (MC) equivalent of the SW&D "Ask a Question/Get an Answer" thread? It seems like that might be a good addition, if not. I mean, is there REALLY a need for a whole thread about the effect of big toes on shoes?

There's more of a need for a thread like this over a reply like yours

15. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

^Really? This thread will be buried down on page 4 in a day or so, but if it were put in a pinned "Q&A" thread, then whatever info it may contain would still be there. I doubt big-toe wear is an issue with enough members that it will generate a long-term or ongoing discussion.

I was genuinely curious if the MC section had that type of Q&A thread (as I didn't see one), as there is in SW&D. SO, you can simmer down the righteous indignation.