• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does weightlifting permanently change your body?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a sophmore (I think?) in college I lifted a lot. It dominated my life, and looking in the mirror my upper body looked a lot different. I guess that age (20ish) coincides with some natural physical development too though. Pecs developed, delts developed, lats became noticable, clear delt separation and pec tie-in, etc. I probably haven't touched a weight in over 5 years, and I still have a lot of definition in my upper body. Will that muscle ever atrophy into 'normalness' or will it always pretty much look like that unless I gain a lot of adipose weight to cover it up?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Muscle breaks down much slower than most people think.

It won't permanently change your body. Check out Arnold pics.

Eagle

Reaction score
You have to work to maintain it and (prepare for a big disappointment ), as you age, you will have to work twice as hard for half the results. However, the good news is you can maintain your muscle tone and still look better than the vast majority of your associates by putting forth a modicum of effort

Deluks917

Reaction score
My dad was an okay but not too serious lifter lifter (low-mid 300's bench) when he was younger and hasn't touched a weight in over 20 years. He's fat but still looks pretty strong.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
While not permanent, strength gains last a lot longer than cardio/power/technique do.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Yes, please point to a former professional bodybuilder as an example.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
He wasn't being sarcastic, Arnold, regardless of being a professional bodybuilder, now has a droopy body.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
arnold.jpg

- B

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ua know what, though, it's not terrible for 60. roids permanently change you though. i used to be pretty and now i look cro-magnon.

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
arnold.jpg
- B

It's probably not a good idea to extrapolate what happened to Arnold to what will happen to Joe Typical. For one thing, Arnie took steroids (yes, he's admitted it), which prevent muscle from breaking down (stops the 'catabolic effect'). So, there was *no way* he was going to maintain the build he had from his roiding days, once he laid off the roids and stopped working out like a maniac. Ppl who earned their muscles the natural way are more likely to not look as vastly different as the roiders when they get older... assuming they continue to work out. ...

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
My dad was an okay but not too serious lifter lifter (low-mid 300's bench) when he was younger

Your dad benched 300+ and he's not a serious lifter?
eek.gif

That's pretty damn strong for not being 'serious' if you ask me.

lizmasc

Reaction score
This is genetics, if you still have some definition it's because you don't seem to have a tendency to gain fat.

After any human being abandons weightlifting the first thing he or she will lose is going to be strength (neuromuscular) and then muscle. 20 to 40% of strength can disappear in as much as 2 weeks, while muscle can last intact for weeks and a month or two for people with better genetics.

Some people after 1 week of rest seem to have more strength when they go back to training but that's just the result of accumulated fatigue. Because they were overtraining previously (like so many people do), they come out from the break lifting the same, or more. This is something that is planned properly in advance by professional weightlifters but not someone starting out should try to accomplish because it's counterproductive
musicboohoo[1].gif
smiley2.gif

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Look here. The Governator suffered a heart attack and dont train as much as he used to.
He still looked good in Terminator 3 which was not that long ago.

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Look here. The Governator suffered a heart attack and dont train as much as he used to.
He still looked good in Terminator 3 which was not that long ago.

I feel bad for Arnie, but his intense roid-taking likely contributed to the heart attacks.

Ever notice all the WWE wrestlers and former football stars who die of heart attacks in their 40s? It's the 'roids.
frown.gif

Arnie's lucky in that he's probably got the best health care money can buy, and is pretty health-conscious otherwise.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SystemShock
I feel bad for Arnie, but his intense roid-taking likely contributed to the heart attacks.

Ever notice all the WWE wrestlers and former football stars who die of heart attacks in their 40s? It's the 'roids.
frown.gif

Arnie's lucky in that he's probably got the best health care money can buy, and is pretty health-conscious otherwise.

Look here. There is no direct correlation of heart attacks with 'roid-taking'.
The fact is many modern day substance abusers do not limit themselves to 'roids'.
Many WWE wrestlers die not of heart attacks but partly due to these substances and the lifestyle they lead and mindset they have. Some commit suicide as well.

As for Governator, there is no direct correlation between his heart attacks and 'roids'.
Hey Sly is old as well, and he still keeps in great shape as his role in Rocky Balboa will attest.
If Governator is still in films and his health permitting, he will look even better than Sly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads