• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Does wearing a fedora make you seem old?

stylemeup

Reaction score
Some of my friends tell me that I shouldn't wear a fedora since it makes me seem a lot older.

They also say that mostly only old fogies wear fedoras these days and therefore to even wear a fedora is kind of associating one's self as an old fogey.

Do you think any of this is true?

Should a man in his late twenties/early thirties not wear a fedora because it makes him seem much older than he is?

Or is that nonsense?

arvidg

Reaction score
'round here (Northern Europe), most hat-wearers I see are in their early twenties. YMMV.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
They also say that mostly only old fogies wear fedoras these days

BPerm

Reaction score
No they are not only for old people to answer that question.
I think just like any other hat you have to have the confidence to wear one.
But that goes without saying that not everyone can pull one off.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a few, I'm under 20.

But I think it is trendy these days, most stores that late teens shop at here are bringing them in for summer. But mind you, they are straw and stiff cotton, not wool or felt (which seem to be scarce even during winter.)

sfnewbie

Reaction score
I think it depends on the hat, what it's worn with, and the person. I don't like them usually but every now and then I'll see a younger guy wearing one and think that it looks good.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BPerm
No they are not only for old people to answer that question.

That is the correct answer. If you feel funny wearing one you're going to look funny wearing one.

Wear it with confidence and pride and you'll be fine. If you only wore what everyone else wore you'd be stuck in the same jeans and t-shirt rut they're all in. Same goes for hats, don't wear their baseball caps. You're here because you want to be better than that.

I unpacked my third Art Fawcett hat just yesterday.

Reaction score
Takes a certain kinda guy to pull it off.

Just cos Johnny Depp can do it doesn't mean that you can. I certainly can't.

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Yeah wear with pride I certainly cant pull a fedora off. There are differnet types out there that dont look so old, something with smaller stingy brims, and trilbys dont look as old school as a full 3" birm fedora.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BPerm

If it's a good fit, complementary style for the face, and worn with confidence, then I think a fedora looks great regardless of age.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
Yeah wear with pride I certainly cant pull a fedora off. There are differnet types out there that dont look so old, something with smaller stingy brims, and trilbys dont look as old school as a full 3" birm fedora.

Good point- Stetsons, for example, have a few Fed's that are qiute tall- not the best fit for certain faces. Whereas Borsalino is a "smaller" hat in each dimension.

But to the OP- it sounds like his peers are the ones who are uncomfortable.

yo!

Reaction score
I don't think I can pull one off myself.
I hear this from everybody.

When I bought my first hat it was for fun, and every time I wore it I felt like I was wearing a costume. But I was ok with it because I only wore my hat when I wore a full suit and tie, so at least it was a good looking costume.

However, after wearing it a couple of times I became very comfortable with wearing it and the way I looked.

Now, If I could afford it, I would wear a hat everyday. I have 4 hats and I try to decide what I will wear for the day by building an outfit around one of my hats just so that I can wear it.

It is all about two things: getting the right hat for you, and wearing it with confidence.

I always got the feeling that all of the people who wear ball caps are some how hiding themselves from the world. Maybe, just trying to blend in, saying "don't look at me, I am just like everyone else."

I wear my hat because I know that it looks good, and at first people give you strange looks because it is different, but then they realize that you do look good and that the hat is not a gimmick.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.9%
  • 31 - 40