• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does VO2 Testing Help?

Lawman

Reaction score
I'm in pretty good shape. I either lift or do cardio just about every day. Does this assessment make a meaningful difference in training and/or results? Seems like it is everywhere right now, including ads for it plastered over the walls at my gym.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you really care to know what your max is or to see what progress you have made in improving it, I don't see why one would really care.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
I'm in pretty good shape. I either lift or do cardio just about every day. Does this assessment make a meaningful difference in training and/or results? Seems like it is everywhere right now, including ads for it plastered over the walls at my gym.
What type of VO2 testing do want to have done? Submaximal or maximal? I won't make a decision for you, but read this article on the topic. While it's not verbatim journal article, the information mirrors from the research out there. Takes my thought's and puts them into layman's terms. Also, try researching the topic from sources such as the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) guides, peer-reviewed journals ect, pretty interesting. I will say that my VO2max performance astounds me given my RER at the time of the test... it's a ***** near the end (but obviously doable). Here's the article, VO2max may not be everything you think it is: http://www.time-to-run.com/theabc/vo2.htm

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
V02 max testing is kind of just fun to know if you've put in a lot of work and want to know how you stack up.

Best artificial test I have found is this :

http://www.concept2.com/us/interacti...ors/vo2max.asp

Except you have to know your 2k test on an erg. But I've had a real test done and compared to the result on this site and they're pretty much the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads