• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Two Cell Phones = Lame?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering getting a new cell. I've carried one or another since the early nineties, but never actually used them like people do these days, because I was always 'on call' in a sense and had to have it on all the time, so I never, ever, ever gave out the number so it wouldn't ring, say, in a meeting or in class for some lame reason. That has lately been cramping my style.

Initially, I wanted a Dual NAM phone like my old OKI was in '92 or so, i.e., it had two numbers and you could switch between them, so I could leave my call number on and switch over to check messages on the other. That's sort of daft because my 'call' number always has to be on, so I'd never be able to actually receive calls on the other line.

Short of the cell companies getting their systems out of it's own rear end and letting one cell carry multiple active numbers, two cells seems my only option -- keep the very annoying Motorola V180 for my call number and get another decent phone, maybe a Razr or something. But I've generally thought that having multiple cells was uber yuppie and lame. Thoughts? Want to recommend a phone for me? Definitely prefer one without a camera, (cameras cause problems for me) and flips are generally better. Might break down and get a cameraphone if there's no other decent option. I don't care about any media content, except that I'd like to hook it to my laptop and read SF at work/bid on eBay from the road sometimes.

Regards,
Huntsman

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A week ago I had 3 phones on me, my old Tmo line was still up and no one knew I changed my number yet so I had my old Nokia, my BB Pearl, and my Docomo D902i in my bag (its mostly for watching video/listening to music now)

Oh and dont get a RAZR they are pieces of ****.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no,hunt. i have 2 phones. it means you have an extra large penis

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and dont get a RAZR they are pieces of ****.
I have one of these, it has worked fine for me. Then again I haven't dropped it, I've heard horror stories about them breaking.

I'm being careful
blush.gif

JB

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
no,hunt. i have 2 phones. it means you have an extra large penis

Heh, how can that be bad?

Sounds good, all. Glad for the tip on the Razr.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, Razr sucks, no battery life and very flimsy

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camera's in phones are unobtrusive. All you see is a small lens and in order to use the feature you go through the menu. Generally they are fairly pointless, most are VGA or a very low useless MP but they are almost default nowadays so they shouldn't deter you from buying a particular phone.

vc2000

Reaction score
Why don't you get a phone that carries two lines? Nextel has this service now - the phone is a bit clunky but I am sure others will add this. Europe and Asia have had this for a long time using the sim cards.

The joke in Asia was that men carried two phones - one for the wife and one for the Mistress.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could always get a two sim adapter

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Camera's in phones are unobtrusive. All you see is a small lens and in order to use the feature you go through the menu. Generally they are fairly pointless, most are VGA or a very low useless MP but they are almost default nowadays so they shouldn't deter you from buying a particular phone.

Some places you can't carry cameras.

Originally Posted by vc2000
Why don't you get a phone that carries two lines? Nextel has this service now - the phone is a bit clunky but I am sure others will add this. Europe and Asia have had this for a long time using the sim cards.

Will look into it. Thought it wasn't possible to have two line constantly active without having to switch via menu or physically swapping the SIM.

Originally Posted by ratboycom
you could always get a two sim adapter

There is such a thing? Kindly explain, link, anything.

Thanks,
Huntsman

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Some places you can't carry cameras.

Will look into it. Thought it wasn't possible to have two line constantly active without having to switch via menu or physically swapping the SIM.

There is such a thing? Kindly explain, link, anything.

Thanks,
Huntsman

Well ill try to dig something for you but last time I checked the dual sim mods were popular amongst the phone hackers and scammers. it may be a few days though,its finals week

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the dual sim mod. My friend had a dual sim mod back in 2000?...But I live in HK, so the modders are out in full over here.

What happens is there is a slot for an extra sim in the battery compartment, and when wanted to switch between sims, a number could be entered in the phone itself, and the phone would reboot w/ new sim

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
yeah, Razr sucks, no battery life and very flimsy
I've dropped mine repeatedly and had hours long conversations on it without any problems whatsoever. In response to Huntsman's original question: Yes, lame.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why couldnt you just have one phone, for example your personal one carried on you, and then have your work phone numbers redirected (forwarded) to your personal? Or the other way around.

That way you only carry one, but receive calls from both. I dont know how you want to work it with your minutes (here, we have all incoming free), but if you can figure that out then it should be a solution. The only thing that you might be giving up is the caller ID of the forwarded line.

Otherwise I do agree that it is quite lame to carry two. Unless you get little holsters that clip to your belt, then it is A+ cool!!

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads