• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this work?

bjornb17

Reaction score
I could use some input from the style-savvy people here. Does wearing a dress shirt (CT gingham check cutaway collar) under this sweater like this work?
DSCN2104.jpg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks fine, but I personally would wear a v-neck.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's like a suit's lapel roll.
confused.gif

I think it looks fine.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
only approve if the shirt you are wearing below is Polo as well.....

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
is that good, bad, or just a coincidence?
eh.gif

Well, it's neither! I just think that this combination looks good particularly because a zip-up sweater acts as a jacket of sorts. Might need to do that too sometime.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's okay. Personally I don't like the sweater (especially the logo) ... but I'm a great fan of check shirts.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
looks fine, i personally would not leave the collar flaps down on your zip sweater though.
SEE:
1208236.jpg
What makes THIS look a little snappier (than yours) is the color on the reverse and the fact that it's charcoal and not mid-gray.
1151202.jpg
Also, I'd add a sport coat. The half-zip sweater look looks so great under an odd jacket precisely because the sweater "collar" doesn't flop down but sticks up. See the PS Holiday Look Book, page 6: Paul Stuart - Holiday 2010

southbound35

Reaction score
Dissenting vote. I like the shirt, but think the gingham pattern (especially in lighter colors) makes it a bit spring-y. I could see pairing it with a lightweight v-neck in early spring. Try lighter shades of just about any color. Also, I think almost any color (except black) would preferable to grey with that shirt.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Okay, thanks all for the input! I took some of the suggestions and came up with this:

1) Shirt is Polo Regent (to satisfy Da Luis Vuitton Don), and it not so "springy"
2) Popped the collar on the sweater.

I'm wearing these with dark jeans so I think it goes good with the gray, otherwise I'd wear a darker color sweater.

DSCN2106.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks cool for casual wear!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads