• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this work (suit, tie, square)

stevenf

Reaction score
I'm comfortable with a pocket square or a tie alone, but I just can't figure out how to coordinate both together. How's this?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot tell. I have the same problem.
I have never worn a pocket square, and it is not very usual to see them around here. However, I now and then see them in shopwindows, and there is a nice men's clothing store in town (Pedro Muñoz)where I never enter because it looks really expensive and does not appear to ever run any sales, but I enjoy having a look at their shop windows when passing by, and there I sometimes see really nice combinations of suit+tie+pocket square.
My basic problem is: as I have not pocket square, if I get one, what should I get started with? My first ties were just horrible, and I do not want to make the same mistake with pocket squares. I guess they have to combine with the tie in some way, but I am not really sure of how to do it.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks great, although a more conservative choice would be a plain square. If everything is a shade of blue, it's pretty hard to go wrong...

neyus

Reaction score
it looks good.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I cannot tell. I have the same problem.
I have never worn a pocket square, and it is not very usual to see them around here. However, I now and then see them in shopwindows, and there is a nice men's clothing store in town (Pedro Muñoz)where I never enter because it looks really expensive and does not appear to ever run any sales, but I enjoy having a look at their shop windows when passing by, and there I sometimes see really nice combinations of suit+tie+pocket square.
My basic problem is: as I have not pocket square, if I get one, what should I get started with? My first ties were just horrible, and I do not want to make the same mistake with pocket squares. I guess they have to combine with the tie in some way, but I am not really sure of how to do it.

start of with solids. easier to match of course. i think outfits benefit extremely with the addition of a pocketsquare. maybe you should also copy the window displays. im sure you can find cheaper pocketsquares in stores around your area, or perhaps you can make them youself out of an shirt.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The close up photo looks very different to the shot of you wearing the items. I like the colours in the full shot; less so in the close up.

From my little experience, I would suggest improving your aesthetic sense generally as a way to becoming more confident with your choices. Finding clothes combinations that work is a very small subset of understanding colours and combinations that you perceive as harmonious and pleasant to the eye or simply more attuned to your personal style.

Improve your "colour sense" - take a look not just at clothes, but at art, magazines, movies and photographs. Think about what you like, what seems elegant to you, what contrasts appeal to you and what don't. Don't focus on specifics too much; look for themes and recurring motifs. Then you'll be able to choose colour combos better.

I know my dress sense won't appeal to everyone but most would agree that it's fairly consistent (they'll generally either consistently like or dislike it). It reflects what I like in terms of colours, textures, etc. rather than specific items.

Degendorff

Reaction score
I think starting with solid pocket squares, esp. a white one, will be worthwhile. But shirtmatching squares look terrible beside white and maybe light blue imo.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think balance is the key.

If you have a lot of solid ties, I would get more decorative squares. If you have more busy ties, I would get more simpler (maybe solid) squares.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...0&d=1170918073

In this situation, I do not think it works so good. It looks like a busy tie combined with a fairly busy square, and could be too much (it`s hard to tell from the photo though). I would try something more simple on either the tie or the square.

ccffm1

Reaction score
What Dragon said.

Styk33

Reaction score
Busy, that is a good way to describe it. I think there could be a better combination.

stevenf

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a store in Manhattan that has a good selection of pocket squares and helpful salespeople?
I've been to Paul Stuart, but their squares are huge. I bought a white linen one there but I don't wear it since it's so bulky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads