• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this Tailoring Estimate sound legit?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bought a marc jacobs suit not too long ago. The sizing on them is not like a regular suit, M, L, Xl, etc.. I bought an Xl and its good on the shoulders but huge everywhere else.

I like the fabric, its a grey/brown wool and will keep the pants regadless. My questions is should I keep the Jacket? I bought it for $128 on sale. I took it to my local tailor. He said it would be $100 to suppress the waist and shorten the sleeves - he has to do that at the top since they are working button holes and that is major surgery.

Anythoughts if this price seems legit and/or if its worth it to keep the suit? Thanks

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$100 seems a bit high, if the tailor is good, not out of the question.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Standard Toaster
It sounds very cheap for the work that needs doing.

great thanks.

His usual price to suppress the waist and sleeves on shirts is $10 a pop, which is very reasonable. I just wasnt sure how much major surgery like that cost and if this was a decent rate for something like that. If it was MORE than the cost of the jacket Id ditch it.

He makes his own blazers for $800+, so Im fairly confident he can fix this properly.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. I had to have a tux jacket re-cut for the waist suppression; he had to move and resew the pockets and everything and do the sleeves. I think I paid $110, and my guy is pretty cheap.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's about what I would pay my tailor. Very reasonable.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. I've never seen a suit that comes in S, M, L, XL BTW.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its a marc by marc suits, they uses xs-xl sizing and sells them as separates.

That price sounds way below what it should be. To shorten the sleeves from the shoulder is a big job and usually costs about 60-100 alone here in new york, along with waist suppression you are looking at 150-200 total.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, sounds like a good deal then! Maybe the economy is causing tailors to drop their price???

Yea I got it on gilt a while back. I thought I needed a L but it would have been small on my shoulders. It wouldnt fit perfect no matter what so all told i think getting the tailoring done is still cheaper than anything else. Plus he threw in a free pant hemming that I need for tonight. The whole suit and tailoring will cost just over $300....I'll post pics when its ready next week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads